newzhack

Boom Pole Quick Connect

17 posts in this topic

Is anyone using one of the quick connects for their boom pole. I like the idea but am afraid of the connection rattling?

Yes - many of us.  There are numerous discussions here on JWS about some of the different choices.

Can't imagine going back to screwing the mic to the top of the pole. 

I use the SGS quick connects on all my boom poles. Highly recommended. 

I have kept mine on the pole for years and was rear ended (in my car) last Feb. The wreck tore the mount and put a dent on my 416, it seems to work fine. How do you guys store yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I second JonG, Sound Guys Solutions on all my boom poles. 

SGS is the best currently. If I were re-buying, that's what I'd go with. Not sure about longevity yet, but I imagine it's good. Quality built product. 

most use the ambient quick tip over this way, I used them for a while and all good.

C.

I actually don't like the Ambient quick release. While is sturdy, it's also quite heavy and I've found that the twist mechanism becomes more and more difficult to use

I've had Ambient quick releases for quite some time now and they work fine.  I have them on at least four or five poles and many mic rigs.

I recently examined the Sound Guys Solutions quick release and it appears to also be well designed and built -- light weight and solid.  It's at a lower price point than the Ambient, so that makes it a contender for "BEST BUY." 

I currently have the ambients - which I've had for years. 

They are starting to get a bit funky - I can on replacing them with the Sound Guys Soutions ones.

Have still been using the Gary Woods quick-disconnects (with a couple of modifications). Have both mono and stereo versions. Still my favorite, wish he'd bring them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambient quick release. Beeswax in the female connection seems to keep the twisting or disengaging as good as new.

Ambient here. Satisfied customer.

Satisfied with my Ambient as well, feels like it locks in more securely than the SGS. I've had each colorured differently for the different length poles, helps my ops pick the correct pole quicker in dimmer environments.

Thanks Zach for that tip on the beeswax! I'll keep that i mind as they get some more years on them. 

Like someone said above... could not imagine not using them.

I have Ambient ones - I have 2 units, and have the newest on the pole I use the most and older one has been relegated to a spare pole. Older one works just fine after many years.

R