Boom Pole Quick Connect

newzhack

I've had Ambient quick releases for quite some time now and they work fine.  I have them on at least four or five poles and many mic rigs.

I recently examined the Sound Guys Solutions quick release and it appears to also be well designed and built -- light weight and solid.  It's at a lower price point than the Ambient, so that makes it a contender for "BEST BUY." 

Satisfied with my Ambient as well, feels like it locks in more securely than the SGS. I've had each colorured differently for the different length poles, helps my ops pick the correct pole quicker in dimmer environments.

Thanks Zach for that tip on the beeswax! I'll keep that i mind as they get some more years on them. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jose Frias said:

I'm using the Orca Bags quick releases. Smallest and lightest of the bunch, and very easy to snap in.

http://www.orcabags.com/product/orca-boom-pole-quick-release/

The Orca is by far the smallest, but because the innner body and tips are made of steel it's actually heavier than the Sound Guys and the Ambient. In all honesty I'd be amazed if someone could tell the boom was 1oz heavier....

The main difference in all 3 come down to functionality and personal preference. 

On 7/25/2017 at 10:11 PM, andrewstone said:

Are people using the standard quick release tip on the Sound Guys piece of kit or the one that has the split threaded bit that splays with the tightening of the allen bolt? 

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/locking-quick-release-tip

I just purchased 1 of the SGS split-mounting top for a MKH70 on a Rycote blimp. Rock solid.

I've used both Ambient and the latest SGS product. Both are really good. Ambient was first to the party and they are the most ubiquitous. I decided to go with Ambient after realizing that everyone else in town has Ambient quickloks and the compatibility with other folks is helpful. 

If it were just up to me I'd probably go with SGS. Time will tell but I suspect the SGS design will hold up just as well if not better than the Ambient quickloks and with less maintenance. I recently bought a package of 4-5 quickloks from someone on here used and almost all of them are starting to freeze up. Anyone who has wrestled with a quicklok to swap a mic as the AD is calling to start the roll knows how frustrating they can be when they start getting wonky.

You can fully disassemble a quicklok to clean and re-grease it but it's a tedious and tricky job and good luck finding the right grease that ambient recommends it's a german brand and not really available in the US in small quantities. I ended up using a similar synthetic grease called Super Lube that works well but changes the feel of the spring-action a bit. Kind of dampens the snap-lock action.    

I'm sure a lot of greases would work but.. for how long, would it hold up to weather and dust, does it change the action of the mechanism. Etc. I'd rather just go with what Ambient uses. Though so far the super lube product is working alright but since it's a bit thicker the quicklok doesn't fully snap closed you have to manually nudge it a hair to keep the mic completely still.