Jump to content
dactylus

Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel DSLR Recorder

Recommended Posts

Excellent to hear there's a new low cost option on its way. Wonder how the preamps (Bhutan perhaps?) compare to the DR70D/DR680Mk2 ... or indeed the F4/8 and MP3/6? Anyone here know how the last range of Marantz compared to their rivals (Tascam, Olympus, Sony etc)? Look forward to hearing more about it in any case, particularly how decent it sounds and the battery/powering setup. Presume no TC or dig sync cascade at this price ... ganging would be good though as would ... metadata?

Jez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At sub $300 it could replace the Tascam DR70D as the default choice in this price bracket.

 

But without TC it can never compete with the next step up (Zoom F series or Sound Devices MixPre series).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another multi channel audio recorder to bolt on the underside of a camera! SD (3), Tascam (3), Zoom (2), Marantz (1). I think aside from the misconception that good sound (for picture) is easy to do, camera ops have so many automated options on their kit now it's almost as if they need something else to do. I hope the next generation of pro audio kit includes tools and features to help professional sound folk provide some new and compelling reasons to be employed. The advances in timecode a metadata sharing are great but only applicable on certain types of production. I very much like having the dugan automix included in my 6 series firmware but I suspect this is as far as it will go for the 633. Whereas the advances (since the launch of the 6 series) of processor power could maybe give us somethings like:

~ Auto transcription, ideally in realtime, but at the end of day or between takes would be a start.

~ Non destructive DNR.

~ Wave form monitoring (even pretty cheap cameras now offer histograms and scopes).

~ A built in expresso maker :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daniel said:

Another multi channel audio recorder to bolt on the underside of a camera!


Another point to keep in mind, is all these "underside of camera" recorders are also a heck of a lot more user friendly to have in your bag while booming, than the old H4n / DR40 / etc that people used to use. 

So this is a good development for the low budget end of the market (student / indie / hobbist / etc filmmaking). 

2 hours ago, daniel said:

~ Non destructive DNR.

 


I expect just like how we saw automixers from being independent pieces of hardware, to incorporated with the recorders themselves, that in the future years to come we will also see the likes of CEDAR DNS2 not being just stand alone piece of gear but built into our recorders as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:


Another point to keep in mind, is all these "underside of camera" recorders are also a heck of a lot more user friendly to have in your bag while booming, than the old H4n / DR40 / etc that people used to use. 

So this is a good development for the low budget end of the market (student / indie / hobbist / etc filmmaking). 


I expect just like how we saw automixers from being independent pieces of hardware, to incorporated with the recorders themselves, that in the future years to come we will also see the likes of CEDAR DNS2 not being just stand alone piece of gear but built into our recorders as well.

i think DNR is pretty obvious 1 to have if you can. But I was trying to think of other ways to make the most of advances in processor power. Perhaps 1 of the big advantages the MixPre series will have over earlier SD stuff is the ability to record and interface with a computer (simultaneously) where some of these advances will show up sooner than on the recorders themselves. Eg visual monitoring aids and transcription, maybe even translation. Basically if can be done with a laptop now, it's not inconceivable it will be possible to do it with just a recorder in the next 10 years. Eg some of things demonstrated with the latest version of izotope. Obviously screen size is an issue and there are only 3 recorders with screens anywhere big enough to this (X3, Nagra7, Pix series[video recorder]), that said, smart devices are already giving us separate displays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2017 at 2:33 AM, daniel said:

But I was trying to think of other ways to make the most of advances in processor power. Perhaps 1 of the big advantages the MixPre series will have over earlier SD stuff is the ability to record and interface with a computer (simultaneously) where some of these advances will show up sooner than on the recorders themselves. Eg visual monitoring aids and transcription, maybe even translation. Basically if can be done with a laptop now, it's not inconceivable it will be possible to do it with just a recorder in the next 10 years. Eg some of things demonstrated with the latest version of izotope.


I'm very surprised that that we don't have more options and more advanced options when it comes to computer recordings. 

Basically how it is now in 2017 is we have very limited options (such as BoomRecorder being one of the few options) that are hardly under active development at the moment. I guess the issue is that our niche (cart recordings for film, as realistically, you're not going to use a computer in your bag while also booming! Although maybe that will change, could use a Windows tablet?) as a far far too tiny niche to get much support for it from these fringe ideas we're discussing here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, I was reading the manual and I see it has an option for encryption:

 

. Encryption on/off: See Menu 7 – Rec Set for


details on how to enter an encryption key.
Note: If you try to play an encrypted file, you
must enter the encryption key first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2017 at 6:32 AM, IronFilm said:


I'm very surprised that that we don't have more options and more advanced options when it comes to computer recordings. 

 

Well, there are hundreds of interfaces and plenty of software options to choose from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, soundtrane said:

 

Well, there are hundreds of interfaces and plenty of software options to choose from. 


I meant on the software side it is just Metacorder or BoomRecorder, even though we have dozens (and yeah probably even hundreds, like you said) of hardware options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×