Pelican transport case

Huard

Looking to buy a pelican type case to put all my audio gear in. I'm using an orca 30 with 633 but also need to transport a lot more gear !!

Does anyone have any good examples or model numbers for a transport case to share??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, in the spirit of JW and The Senator, "it depends".  (Damn, that's fun for forum folk.) What do you mean by "a lot more gear"? I like the Pelican Air 1615 which is similar to the Pelican 1650. That being said I've been scanning the DIY Pelican carts on this site to come up with a more advanced solution. 

A friend bought a 1615 Air for his LED lights. Mostly a nice case with wheels, light, etc. But the center of the lid seems WAY more flexible than on the non-Air 1650s I've come across. Flexy enough that he wonders a bit about protection if something heavy gets tossed on top of the box. No big deal in and out of our vehicles, but handing off to someone else to ship or carry?

So I'd say it's definitely something you'd want to check out yourself if you can. But as you say, not sure where in SF to look...maybe a friendly rental house? Maybe Samy's in SF?

I like the Pelican 1620 with the Mobility kit for my 633 rig.  I live in NYC where I have to roll it around a lot, so the big wheels on the mobility kit really come in handy.  I can fit everything I need for a full day of shooting in there, including boom pole, slate, and even rain protection if needed. I also have the lid organizer on it where I keep small things like audio adapters or Lav mounting supplies. It can get a bit heavy when fully loaded but I can set it around the city on the subway myself pretty easily  

I used to use the 1560 with mobility kit, which is a bit smaller and lighter but I recently got the K-Tek stingray bag and harness for my 633 and that is a bit too tall to fit in the 1560. It worked fine with my older Petrol mixer bag though. I couldn't fit my boom pole in the 1560 either.

-Mike

I tend to roll around with a 1560. It holds all my mics, wireless, batts, cables and a shotgun in a supershield. The 633 lives in it's stingray Jr bag and I have the little weatherproof cover for it. For transport, the stingray rides on top of the peli. I have a 1650 for extra protection, but it rarely gets used.

I've bought two of the big Pelican Airs. They are exactly the size of the largest cases most airlines will accept. Agree with the comment about flex, but I have traveled internationally several times with these filled to capacity and they did fine. The cases are made from a different material than the original Pelicans and presumably they are equally tough.

On 7/8/2017 at 8:41 AM, tourtelot said:

Sorry for being short.  Your profile shows San Francisco so I just assumed. . . .  And we all know what happens when one assumes. :)

Not much in the way of audio & video dealers around here (SF Bay Area).... I mean, there are drop-ship VARs, but not really much straight-up retail. Bummer, but sure makes boards like this more valuable...