Advice On Record & Playback Setup in Nomad 10

SoundDelights

Hi all,

I am looking to take the step and switch to the Zaxcom Nomad 10 with associated wireless peripherals. I wondered if any Nomad 10 users might be able to help me by suggesting how I would config Nomad 10 config (internal memory settings) that would allow for instantaneous switching between record mode and playback mode - from where the director first calls “Cut”, and then calls for “Playback, please”.

Specifically, I need to know how best to approach such potential routing configs, used with Nomad10 when switching between recording (line inouts, mics, etc.), followed by playback (to loudspeaker on set).

I am not certain but would this sort of A->B, B-> A switching introduce any problems with TC sources, system restarts, etc ?

I hope that I am explaining myself sufficiently with my above Record/ Playback scenario.

Many thanks in advance ad I look forward to hearing your thoughts in this.

Thanks,

Hi all,
This is my first post on a Zaxcom forum m

Well, welcome to a Zaxcom forum, apparently. Formerly known as JWSoundgroup. Can't say this comes as a surprise... (just kidding).

Anyway, I am not a Nomad user, but there are two things I am pretty sure of:
1) this must be in the manual (find it and read it)
2) it can absolutely not be a problem, the need for a system restart is surely non-existent for simple playback

This is not the Zaxcom Forum (there is one), but there are many Zaxcom users (as well as those of many other systems) here on this forum for professional sound mixers.

By far the best answer to your question is, "Learn your gear." Spending time with a Nomad will make its operation clearer than any written description.  From there, other users can clarify any finer points you have questions about.

You can use extra outputs (HP2, tape, mono out) and assign whatever you want to those.

https://forum.zaxcom.com/forum/forums/nomad/40058-playback (you have to register to read)

--------------

The outputs are routed 1:1 to card tracks when playing back. If you want more flexible playback routing use the HP2, tape or mono outputs since you can assign card tracks to those.
-howy

Many thanks to all for your useful replies and info. Primarily, the importance of my query was to verify if any TC issues could arise, or whether possible system restarts might be needed. I appreciate now that I could have described my initial query scenario more succinctly, so thanks again to all for taking their time in ‘interpreting’ what I needed to investigate.

Finally, I apologise too all (Constantin included :-)) for my initial error in addressing this forum as being a Zaxcom forum.

You dont need to apologize SoundDelights, your question was clear and if any took offence to something im sure its their issue not yours.

When you get your nomad, sit on the couch with it for at least the whole afternoon. Play around and learn the interface. I think i spent a good 6-8 hrs on a sunday after i first got mine. By Monday I was full up to speed with how to utilise it as i needed.

Enjoy! Its a great machine.

Assuming that the director wants video playback as well, not just audio, then just depending on your Nomad won't do the job. In fact, it is actually another person's whole job to do this exact thing, record takes to playback for director.

Usually it means feeding audio via XLR to either camera directly, or to the Video Assist who then dials the proper delay to match and record with video. 

• 2 weeks later...

There is no need to apologize SoundDelights. It's a fantastic machine and I've had the pleasure of owning one since 2013. I still find it has a learning curve that does need some time to take on it. I do want to commend the folks that answered your question with little resistance. Although this is not a Zaxcom forum, this is an Equipment forum and I don't think there was anything written anywhere here the parameters of questioning on this particular section of Equipment. Jack Norflus (great guy by the way. Met him at NAB this year for the first time), Jose Frias and fieldmixer made it greatly clear.