16-Channel Analogue to Dante Location Mixer

Matt Bacon AMPS

2 hours ago, Matt Bacon AMPS said:

I have not read up a great deal on Deva24. Will it be platform independent? Will I be able to use it as a traditional console and use the Dante output to feed my SD970?

I have no desire to use Zaxcom wireless or their IFB systems with it as heavily invested in other manufacturers.

I'm not quite understanding the first question: "platform independent"? Deva 24 is the new recorder-mixer from Zaxcom. It will be the top of the line of their recorders, high track count (24), tons of inputs - outputs --- can be used anywhere you would use a Sound Devices, Cantar, Sonosax recorder-mixer. It will, of course, have an amazing feature set for those who use Zaxcom wireless --- total remote control over wireless receivers all from the Deva 24 screen, etc., etc., obviously not so important to those who do not use Zaxcom wireless. It could be fed from a standalone digital or analog mixing panel or you could use the MIX-16 hardware control unit. As for using Dante to feed an SD 970, I suppose that would work, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that.

- a somewhat older picture of Deva 24, standalone recorder:

Deva24-pic.jpg

Hey Jeff, as I mentioned on the Facebook post, didn't intend to sound dismissive about the Deva 24. Just not the solution I'm looking for (digital mixer with Dante and DC power).

Unless it's changed, Dante will only be available as an option through the Mix-16 control surface, which would then interface to the Deva24 via it's connector. While definitely a solution, not what I would personally want as it means you need both the Mix-16 and the Deva 24 to get Dante running. At least when it was the Deva 32, you'd really only need a PC computer to set up the interface software, which you would require anyway to setup Dante, and with something like the Kangaroo PC you could get an inexpensive yet small and powerful solution to do just that, also with DC power.

12 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

I'm not quite understanding the first question: "platform independent"? Deva 24 is the new recorder-mixer from Zaxcom. It will be the top of the line of their recorders, high track count (24), tons of inputs - outputs --- can be used anywhere you would use a Sound Devices, Cantar, Sonosax recorder-mixer. It will, of course, have an amazing feature set for those who use Zaxcom wireless --- total remote control over wireless receivers all from the Deva 24 screen, etc., etc., obviously not so important to those who do not use Zaxcom wireless. It could be fed from a standalone digital or analog mixing panel or you could use the MIX-16 hardware control unit. As for using Dante to feed an SD 970, I suppose that would work, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that.

- a somewhat older picture of Deva 24, standalone recorder:

Deva24-pic.jpg

By platform independent I meant that the mixer I'd like to see wouldn't require a particular recorder from one manufacturer as the Mix16 or CL-12 does. 

If it were Dante enabled it could work with a Sound Devices Pix, JoeCo Blackbox etc.

Sorry I probably wasn't being clear. 

Zaxcom did make one of the first, if not the first, standalone platform independent digital mixing console designed specifically for production sound work: Cameo and  Cameo II. Cameo Mixers are still in use by a couple of sound mixers but it has been discontinued for a really long time, many of the component parts no longer even available. I do not think Zaxcom will build another standalone mixing console since it is clear that they have gone the same route as most of the other companies: design and build full featured digital recorder-mixer and provide hardware control surface for that recorder.

I have a bit of trouble understanding some people’s perspective. Namely, when they talk about Zaxcom’s Zaxnet integration as if it were a reason not to buy their products.  Mind you, I totally understand why someone wants to buy what suits them best — that’s what we should be doing.  

However, some speak of the this integration as if it prevents a person from using the unit if they don’t buy into all the integrated components available.  Such is simply not the case — far from it.

I can use my Deva with any external mixing panel I wish, Audio Developments, PSC, Yamaha, Cooper, Mackie, whatever, as well as the dedicated Zaxcom panels.  I can likewise feed whatever I wish from my Deva.  

While I can control Zaxcom wireless via the Deva interface, I don’t have to.  If I’m using Lectro wireless, I simply don’t use that function.  There’s no law — either National or International — that dictates I must deploy all features available.

If I’m using my Lectro wireless, I can’t control it from the front panel of my Deva or from the front panel of a 688, so what?  If that’s the wireless I wish to use at the time, I accept that. It’s a choice I have.

Part of the reason Zaxcom changed their approach from the intended Deva 32 to the soon-to-be-released Deva 24 was to maintain that equipment independence.  They’ve accomplished this while simultaneously incorporating a host of advanced features that are available, but not mandatory to use.

It ain’t an “all or nothing” situation, folks. You hook the stuff together and if it plays nicely, you smile.