High temperature lav mic technique

Xiaodan

The weather is getting hot recently. Last week, I was shooting in a small house, and we kept the AC off during takes. The inside temperature goes up to 92 F. The actors became very sweaty. I am wondering what is the technique that can be used under such circumstances. The actors were wearing a simple T-shirt and some of them had thick hair. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan

3 hours ago, Xiaodan said:

The weather is getting hot recently. Last week, I was shooting in a small house, and we kept the AC off during takes. The inside temperature goes up to 92 F. The actors became very sweaty. I am wondering what is the technique that can be used under such circumstances. The actors were wearing a simple T-shirt and some of them had thick hair. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan

Point mic downwards to avoid ingress of sweat. Thick hair, on head (?) good for hiding mic, on body (?) noisy for mic - resolve with razor and/or something between hair and mic. Piped AC (keep cool, isolate noise).

I always look at the option of taking the registers off the vents to reduce the HVAC noise before deciding to turn the system off. That and a little room tone may do the trick. In regards to sticking mic mounts to skin, I typically use Topstick with good results. If you can stick it to the skin before they start to sweat, you have better results than if you don't get it on until they are already sweating.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I carry a small bottle of iso-propy alcohol to wipe the skin area prior to applying a lav.

I normally use a hypo allergenic tape but I guess if extreme sweat is a problem them

a cloth based medical tape would be better.

Regarding microphones, perhaps a waterproof one like a B6 is not only not going to become

noisy but also low profile under a T shirt.

mike

57 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

In some cases I just figure we aren't going to be able to use any sticky-type solutions--the mic has to have some kind of vamp or pin or be taped to clothing instead of sweaty skin......

+1

It's been getting hot up here, and when the skin or clothing gets soaked through a few non tape solutions can definitely save the day. Chest straps, and the hide a mic bra holder have worked well. For moderate heat i find iso prop and transpore are able to handle most situations. 

13 hours ago, mikewest said:

I normally use a hypo allergenic tape but I guess if extreme sweat is a problem them a cloth based medical tape would be better.

I don't understand this comment as Durapore, the most popular cloth based medical tape (at least here in the US -- and no doubt other companies make something equivalent), is hypoallergenic.

15 hours ago, mikewest said:

I carry a small bottle of iso-propy alcohol to wipe the skin area prior to applying a lav.

I normally use a hypo allergenic tape but I guess if extreme sweat is a problem them

a cloth based medical tape would be better.

Regarding microphones, perhaps a waterproof one like a B6 is not only not going to become

noisy but also low profile under a T shirt.

mike

+1 for the b6, they've been an invaluable addition to my kit. If wardrobe is willing to adjust to help you out and make an adjustment, then button mics also would become option in a scenario like this. 

Otherwise on the b6 front yes to mounting to the bra, or for a t shirt I find that mounting the capsule right at the collar line helps isolate from significant chest hair, though this does move the mic above the desired placement area  

I've also had actors wear a thin undershirt (if they're in a good mood) to solve the chest hair and sweat issue.

Dealing strictly with chest hair, placing the capsule  in moleskin also helps quite a bit. 

Transpore has always worked very well for me, but vampire clips are very helpful as well, just remember to inform talent so the don't prick themselves!! And always mic them before they start to sweat if you can!