Rode Newsshooter simple test

Stef Albertyn

For those on the cheaper end of the budget scale.

I had a bit of credit at the local music shop and they had the Rode Newsshooter at a ridiculous special - so I bought one - if it was terrible I could use it as an extra camera hop for guide tracks, so I had nothing to loose.

I plugged a Schoeps 641 into the Rode, set the gain to +30 on the transmitter and 0 on the receiver. The line level send was reasonably low and needed a fair amount of gain. I will look into using an "unbalanced" cable betweern receiver and recorder next to see if there was any issue there. But for the time being - here are two files recorded - one with the Rode and one with the Schoeps directly into the Sonosax. Some noise on the Rode - but not bad at all!

Obviosluy have not tested distance etc.

Cheers

Stef

EDIT - I changed the cable and it sorted the gain issue out - lot less noise!

Test_Schoeps_641_with_Rode_Newshooter_to_Sonosax.wav

Test_Schoeps_641_Straight_to_Sonosax.wav

Test_Schoeps_641_with_Rode_Newshooter_to_Sonosax_LESS_GAIN_WITH_UNBALANCED_CABLE.wav

3 hours ago, Stef Albertyn said:

I had a bit of credit at the local music shop and they had the Rode Newsshooter at a ridiculous special

Am curious, what was the "ridiculous" price you paid for yours? As I've noticed they're a bit more expensive than the RodeLink Filmmakers Kits.

Typically when feeding a balanced input from an unbalanced output, XLR pins 1 and 3 are tied together. However some manufacturers recommend floating XLR pin 3 in an unbalanced scenario (for instance Sound Devices recommends this for the 302). So the best wiring config depends on what the receiver is feeding.
FWIW, According to the Rode specs, the NewsShooter receiver has a dual mono 1/8" TRS output (unbalanced), so if a generic TRS to XLR balanced adapter is used, total cancellation is likely.. No audio at all, I'm sure that's happened to a lot of OMB shooters.

perfect, thanks for the info.
I have access to a Rode wireless, so I might wire up some cables and run some tests into an 633.

curious if I can make it work on channel 4-6 with line level since with the low output of the G3 it's pushing it to a point where I don't feel comfortable.

chris

7 hours ago, Stef Albertyn said:

I'm in South Africa - things are just simply more expensive here - they normally go for 1050NZ$, and I paid about 700 NZ$.

Yikes! I think I paid around NZ$530 for mine.

5 hours ago, chrismedr said:

curious if I can make it work on channel 4-6 with line level since with the low output of the G3 it's pushing it to a point where I don't feel comfortable.

I don't see the RodeLink Filmmakers Kit (which is different to the Newsshooter Kit that is discussed here) as a replacement for the G3, due to the hideous size of their TX packs.

15 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yikes! I think I paid around NZ$530 for mine.

I don't see the RodeLink Filmmakers Kit (which is different to the Newsshooter Kit that is discussed here) as a replacement for the G3, due to the hideous size of their TX packs.

Well, one can get the filmmakers kit for about NZ$400 (260EUR) net over here, and while I wouldn't want to use it as a talent mic on serious productions, it could be a nice emergency backup, quick extra plant mic or camera hop etc.

58 minutes ago, chrismedr said:

Well, one can get the filmmakers kit for about NZ$400 (260EUR) net over here, and while I wouldn't want to use it as a talent mic on serious productions, it could be a nice emergency backup, quick extra plant mic or camera hop etc.

That is basically what I am doing.
RodeLink Newsshooter Kit = Plant Mic
RodeLink Filmmakers Kit = Camera Hop (or super ultra desperate extra lav mic for talent, but rarely happens now that I've got more wireless in my kit)