Cart video monitor feedback wanted

cheim

I am putting together a new cart and am waffling between the Marshall M Lynx 702 dual 7" and the Blackmagic Design Duo Smartview 8". The upsides of the Blackmagic are the larger display and the $170 lower price. By the time I buy the 4 pin power cable for $90, the difference is reduced to $80. The upside to the Marshall is that it has more has audio monitoring capability and includes a lot more connectivity options. Can't make a decision... Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For what it is worth, I had the Blackmagic duo and I didn't really like it very much, wound up with the Marshall duo on my last job and I really liked it. The main thing about the Blackmagic was the lack of easy local control --- this may not be the case with the Blackmagic model you mention, but the one I had there were no easy front panel controls like the Marshalls.

I am putting together a new cart and am waffling between the Marshall M Lynx 702 dual 7" and the Blackmagic Design Duo Smartview 8". The upsides of the Blackmagic are the larger display and the $170 lower price. By the time I buy the 4 pin power cable for $90, the difference is reduced to $80. The upside to the Marshall is that it has more has audio monitoring capability and includes a lot more connectivity options. Can't make a decision... Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you need the 4-pin cable for? The Blackmagic has a coaxial input...

I quite like the Smartview Duo. Cheap and cheerful. The lack of controls doesn't bother me. The picture is bright and colourful, that's all I need.
The only thing I don't like are the pc board mounted connectors, which could result in terrible damage - in the worst case. I have solved that by installing a patch to which the video cables connect. So that would need to be ripped out first, before any damage could be done to the monitors.

Thanks for the response. I have read about the connectors mounted to the PC board and taken that into consideration. I plan to run the BNCs through a patch panel as well. The 4 PIN cable I mentioned would be from the power supply to DC power input.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks Jeff. Lack of control is one of the main things I'm concerned about on the Blackmagic.

I think what it boils down to is the benefits of the larger screen on the Blackmagic versus the greater degree of control of the Marshall. Wondering if anyone finds the additional connectivity options on the Marshall other than the 3G-SDI useful...?

Oh yes, the pivot is pretty cool. The Marshall also weighs quite a bit more, which for me, with an already heavy cart, was important.
I don't know how you could ever need any of the other inputs offered on the Marshall. When have you last seen an analog video feed? HDMI might be possible from Camera to somewhere, but then they usually split it off and turn into SDI.

When choosing some dual rack-mount video monitors for my Video playback rig I looked at the Black Magic Duo-Vue but found the limited inputs and lack of user controls without a computer connected a problem... I ended up with the LILLIPUT RM-7028S Dual 7" rack mount and have been very happy.  They support Composite, 3Gb SDI and component analog, as well as HDMI,  are native 1280x800 IPS panels which have good viewing angles and have front control buttons for choosing between input sources and adjustment.  They are a little more expensive than the Black-Magic but the ability to support multiple inputs including analog and front panel controls sealed the deal.  I think the resolution and brightness are better on the Lilliput monitors and Viewing angle of the IPS pannels are much better.

https://www.amazon.com/LILLIPUT-RM-7028S-Monitors-Monitor-Broadcast/dp/B00GT66CQA

I like being able to adjust the monitors for each show. Our last show used anamorphic lenses, so I just increased the size of the image as there was no top/bottom. Sometimes you have edge info that is useful, so you want to shrink or reposition the image for that. I like to power off the monitors easily, one or the other, if I am on battery power. I own the 702 and the 503. They're not that much more expensive in the broad scope of things.