DIY external bag cart battery

aginzo

I have been wanting to build an external battery to use with my Zaxcom bag rig consisting of a Nomad 10 and Zax wires (QrX200 and 2 TRX's) for days when I am not needing to carry the bag and I can use my small cart. I'd like to keep in a small pelican type case and I am thinking along the lines of making it so I can power to my BDS so it would be a fast switch over from my bag batteries.  I've been doing my own research around and trying to figure out the right setup when it comes to voltage, watts, amps, etc. I am a complete amateur at this so please forgive my ignorance. Like I said I have done some research but I wanted to also get some advice from the great sound community we have here. I have also tried to seek out past posts on here but haven't really found quite what I am looking for. 

I did find this post that seemed promising. 

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/9087-dc-pelican-battery/&

Your vast and valuable knowledge is most appreciated. Thanks. 

So I built this a few months back for a friend. This has a Bioenno 60ah LiPo battery. The plug selection was what my buddy wanted but it works great. This weighs about 16lbs.

20170415_184440.jpg20170415_184017.jpg

I built a similar one for myself with their 40ah LiPo..It weighs about 12lbs. I can run my loaded 633 bag(3SRC, ZAX CL, RF distro) for like 3 days! Plus charge my phone etc..

20170216_164900.jpg20170214_134509.jpg

I don't have any pictures of it, but I also built a 40ah LiPo rackmount with a switching power supply so that I can use mains power or battery. It lives in an SKB box and powers my cart.

Thanks for JW for pointing me in the direction of Bioenno Batteries!! They have great products and excellent customer service!

www.bioennopower.com

www.powerwerx.com

2 hours ago, mradlauer said:

So I built this a few months back for a friend. This has a Bioenno 60ah LiPo battery. The plug selection was what my buddy wanted but it works great. This weighs about 16lbs.

20170415_184440.jpg20170415_184017.jpg

I built a similar one for myself with their 40ah LiPo..It weighs about 12lbs. I can run my loaded 633 bag(3SRC, ZAX CL, RF distro) for like 3 days! Plus charge my phone etc..

20170216_164900.jpg20170214_134509.jpg

I don't have any pictures of it, but I also built a 40ah LiPo rackmount with a switching power supply so that I can use mains power or battery. It lives in an SKB box and powers my cart.

Thanks for JW for pointing me in the direction of Bioenno Batteries!! They have great products and excellent customer service!

www.bioennopower.com

www.powerwerx.com

Pretty sweet. Sounds heavier than I wanted but it looks like a quality build. 

Just now, Nate C said:

Apologies if I'm misreading this but a Nomad and QRX use very little power. Keep it bag powered. 

Yes, and in the future, I am adding a few more things, possibly. I'd also like to be able to have a USB charge station and possibly have a way to power a video monitor and maybe my laptop. For now just what's in the bag. 

Of course, I will keep primarily bag powered. I'm thinking more along the lines of having a backup power in situations where I can't charge my bag batteries and I am on a cart. It does happen sometimes. 

20170415_184440.jpg.0ac2284584c0b7708d61499660d56de5.jpg20170415_184017.jpg.1d8e77d15bf5ef2e336540b90f75ff07.jpg

20170216_164900.jpg.26b2c3d2e9ba64adcf6425e6d3994b7c.jpg20170214_134509.jpg.78690c3053929730fe3b1b628e8ce054.jpg

www.bioennopower.com

www.powerwerx.com

Is there any chance you could share the wiring scheme for this. I'd love to make one myself

14 hours ago, thope said:

Is there any chance you could share the wiring scheme for this. I'd love to make one myself

When I get a few minutes I'll draw a diagram. It's fairly simple. Everything is either soldered, spade connectors or Anderson Power Pole...The only part that is kind of convoluted is the wiring for the V/A Meter.

The box with the bigger battery has a P-Tap jack on it. It came from Wooden Camera for some modular system they have. I rebuilt it with more solid wires.

• 2 weeks later...