Rupert Neve - Sound on Sound Interview

al mcguire

My backround is in music recording working with MCI and Harrison consoles, very flexible recording and mixing, but filled with IC's, integrated circuits. They sounded great to us but I always ended up looking to equalizers to make sounds more "musical".  One day we were unable to book our own studio and had to go a room with an Neve console, a bit of a bother because what would be a button push previously now became a patch cord inserted. Instead of the monitor pot being in line it was now a separate monitor section on the side. We had a good assistant and were able to get our days work started. After we finished tracking and were playing back I realized that things had changed forever for me, I had wanted to hear a quality in the sound and I had finally found it.

Rupert Neve is the creator of that sound and  he didn't care what other folks did, he was on a mission to please his own ears.

image.jpeg

Here she is on my cart. It has had so many mods done, it really is one of a kind. Sonically, it is far superior to others of the same series. However, unlike the better known 1073 series, this is more neutral sounding with less harmonic distortion, and more dynamic range, but still has a big open sound that you really only get from an analog board. 

re Jon, and cue Jeff

there was an absolute beauty Neve 1970s portable unit I saw on eBay a couple or so years ago, with the classic telephone hand unit on the right hand side: if I dig up a picture I will pass the beauty on !!

on the smaller scale, I remember visiting my pal a cameraman in Kingston Upon Hull, now decades previous to its City Of Culture status, and him showing me a 'presenter in front of a helicopter' piece he had shot with an old timer news mixer who carried the 1970s or so Neve 'bag' preamp with obviously substantial EQ to roll all the LF away and provide the news feed with an unbelievably clean track - skill atop gear, hats off, but nice gear all the same!

Jez

On the 'post Rupert' Neve story, I used to mix TV with the beautiful AMS Neve boards, which my boss used to refer to as 'Calrec's... one of the latter desks I have in bits in a friend's attic (16 very nice P&G faders plus some early 48k digi units, ex NI TV)

• 8 months later...

MixCart on WoodyAllen 2012.jpg

This is Nelson Stoll's cart on the set of a major motion picture. It truly is a thing of beauty. 

JonG- You got a very high quality piece of equipment. I am jealous/excited, I hope a good opportunity finds you. It's good to hear that the Neve console went to a good home. 

I myself have never heard anything quite like it. I would have purchased that mix console if I had the budget. 

P.S. I was lucky enough to be able to purchase one of the Waves L2 rack units!

On 8/1/2017 at 3:03 PM, JonG said:

image.jpeg

Here she is on my cart. It has had so many mods done, it really is one of a kind. Sonically, it is far superior to others of the same series. However, unlike the better known 1073 series, this is more neutral sounding with less harmonic distortion, and more dynamic range, but still has a big open sound that you really only get from an analog board. 

This is awesome.

@Dalton Patterson thanks, yes I’ve brought it out on a few productions, each time I have gotten wonderful compliments from post :)

I also picked up Nelson’s hot-rodded Nagras. With this setup it is no wonder he is such a legend. I really admire how he thinks outside the box and doesn’t go for turn-key kits. The proof is in his work!

On 8/1/2017 at 5:03 PM, JonG said:

image.jpeg

I got to see this in person a while back when Nelson still had it, I believe. Very interesting piece of equipment.