Sound Report Writer app

cstauffer

Does anybody know the creator of this app? Tyler Faison I believe his name is, of inaudible labs. Apple has sent a note saying the app is in need of updating to work with current IOS, and will not be supported soon. It is running VERY sluggishly right now. Would love for him to update it so I can keep using is great little app. Thanks.

CRAIG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
18 hours ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

Just bought the app since it was apparently updated earlier today. Works on iOS 11.4.

Only speaking for myself: Found it pretty underwhelming after using it for 30 minutes. It has pretty limited options for file naming schemes, and it doesn’t support mine. The app’s UI is pretty rough, and I also can’t seem to get rid of the timecode field from the reports. I can imagine it working for some people, but I requested a refund.

Anyone know some good alternatives?

MovieSlate

50 minutes ago, VAS said:

$300 one-time/$9.99 monthly to get the Sound Dept add-on, though. And the bulk of that price pays for other add-ons that I won’t need.

Any iOS or Android devs reading – I’m willing to pay $50 for a polished, full-featured sound report app. Until I upgrade, sound reportage is a little difficult on the Zoom F4.

Edited by Daniel Ignacio

It is Daniel who is looking. Sound Report Writer does run on IOS, and Daniel, if you read the instructions you will find it does the stuff you can’t seem to make it do. It is a simpler app that gets across all the info you need to go to Post for a little money. Movieslate is a lot more expensive, but yes, does a lot more stuff. For me, SRW is just fine.

Craig

8 hours ago, cstauffer said:

It is Daniel who is looking. Sound Report Writer does run on IOS, and Daniel, if you read the instructions you will find it does the stuff you can’t seem to make it do. It is a simpler app that gets across all the info you need to go to Post for a little money. Movieslate is a lot more expensive, but yes, does a lot more stuff. For me, SRW is just fine.

Craig

Sorry for the misattribution. Thanks for the helpful info...

Im also a fan of SRW, use it for my reports when Im doing documentary on the mix pre 6, otherwise its wingman.

As for the leading zeros, Ive never thought of that as an issue. Its easy enough for an editor to understand that "T1" on your report corresponds to take "001" on your recorder.

You can remove the Timecode field by going into settings, and customize the report with 'edit pdf fields'. Ive always liked the simplicity of the app.

• 2 weeks later...

Used it for five days on a phone clamped to my bag, and I’ve grown to tolerate it. 2nd AC liked that he could glance at my phone to check his slate.

Still can’t find a way to remove the timecode entry fields in the take editing screen (I know you can remove the timecode column in the PDFs, but that’s not what I’m talking about). I still think there’s so much about the app that could be better designed.

I’m no app developer, but I made a quick mockup of how I’d like the take edit screen. Everything’s condensed so less scrolling is required on my smaller iPhone 5S, and more information is in view at any given time. Plus, dark colors to reduce light pollution and distractions for actors on dark sets.

The track names functionality already works quite well, so I wouldn’t change that part.

srw-mockup-20180721-001.png

Whoops, forgot to include the file name field!

Edited by Daniel Ignacio