cstauffer

Sound Report Writer app

Does anybody know the creator of this app? Tyler Faison I believe his name is, of inaudible labs. Apple has sent a note saying the app is in need of updating to work with current IOS, and will not be supported soon. It is running VERY sluggishly right now. Would love for him to update it so I can keep using is great little app. Thanks.

CRAIG

Tyler Faison is indeed the creator of this app (along with the TV Timecard app). He's also a working sound mixer based in Dallas. Great guy. I'm sure you can email or call him.

His contact info is on his website: http://tylerfaison.com

He also roams around these forums every once in a while.

I heard fom him right away. He is very busy right now. He is also an active mixer. It is on his list, but not on the too unfortunately. He assured me he will get to it soon. 

Craig

Haven't heard anything yet. App is getting harder and harder to use and the warning that the app needs to be updated keeps coming up. Hope he can find the time soon to do so.

CRAIG

Just bought the app since it was apparently updated earlier today. Works on iOS 11.4.

Only speaking for myself: Found it pretty underwhelming after using it for 30 minutes. It has pretty limited options for file naming schemes, and it doesn’t support mine. The app’s UI is pretty rough, and I also can’t seem to get rid of the timecode field from the reports. I can imagine it working for some people, but I requested a refund.

Anyone know some good alternatives?

18 hours ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

Just bought the app since it was apparently updated earlier today. Works on iOS 11.4.

Only speaking for myself: Found it pretty underwhelming after using it for 30 minutes. It has pretty limited options for file naming schemes, and it doesn’t support mine. The app’s UI is pretty rough, and I also can’t seem to get rid of the timecode field from the reports. I can imagine it working for some people, but I requested a refund.

Anyone know some good alternatives?

MovieSlate

50 minutes ago, VAS said:

$300 one-time/$9.99 monthly to get the Sound Dept add-on, though. And the bulk of that price pays for other add-ons that I won’t need.

Any iOS or Android devs reading – I’m willing to pay $50 for a polished, full-featured sound report app. Until I upgrade, sound reportage is a little difficult on the Zoom F4.

Edited by Daniel Ignacio

Why not use BWF Pro and then the log includes t/c start and finish times plus duration and also your notes!

mike

It is Daniel who is looking. Sound Report Writer does run on IOS, and Daniel, if you read the instructions you will find it does the stuff you can’t seem to make it do. It is a simpler app that gets across all the info you need to go to Post for a little money. Movieslate is a lot more expensive, but yes, does a lot more stuff. For me, SRW is just fine.

Craig

7 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Or Wave Agent...?

Wave Agent App for Android & iOS for the win

8 hours ago, cstauffer said:

It is Daniel who is looking. Sound Report Writer does run on IOS, and Daniel, if you read the instructions you will find it does the stuff you can’t seem to make it do. It is a simpler app that gets across all the info you need to go to Post for a little money. Movieslate is a lot more expensive, but yes, does a lot more stuff. For me, SRW is just fine.

Craig

Sorry for the misattribution. Thanks for the helpful info...

12 hours ago, cstauffer said:

It is Daniel who is looking. Sound Report Writer does run on IOS, and Daniel, if you read the instructions you will find it does the stuff you can’t seem to make it do.

Re-bought it to give it another chance – I understand how to customize file names, but my specific problem is that scene numbers don’t have the option to have leading zeroes. I could add in my own leading zeroes, but that would mess up incrementation. (Ex. 009 → 0010)

There’s also no way to remove the Segment and Timecode fields, which I never/conditionally use. I’ll see if I can get a hold of the developer.

I’ll forgo the file name functionality for now. Still pretty rough around the edges for $20 software with little ongoing support for it, that’s my other main complaint.

Im also a fan of SRW, use it for my reports when Im doing documentary on the mix pre 6, otherwise its wingman.

As for the leading zeros, Ive never thought of that as an issue. Its easy enough for an editor to understand that "T1" on your report corresponds to take "001" on your recorder.

You can remove the Timecode field by going into settings, and customize the report with 'edit pdf fields'. Ive always liked the simplicity of the app.