600mhz equipment resale?

Averyhsc

Hi all! I work for a small production company in NYC, and unfortunately all of our Lectrosonic LAV Receiver/transmitter pairs run on the soon-to-be-unusbale 600 band. I was wondering where people would recommend to go to re-sell all of our equipment. We've been looking at consigning through a larger equipment distributor but was wondering what businesses people would recommend and have had positive experiences with (or ones that people haven't!). I've been tasked with re-selling but am not the most experienced when it comes to audio equipment, I've lurked the forums in the past for info and would love any input! Thanks so much for everything!

I have had at least two occasions where a poster here sold me his gear through one of the usual suspects even though we had made contact here. This seems to be a sensible option for all three parties involved. Especially the buyer gets an additional layer of safety and they may accept a better price (better for you). 

Yup, in NYC I would go through Gotham.

However I would look to sell internationally given that they will probably be difficult to sell here given that news of the FCC ruling has spread to most US based mixers by now, making it harder to unload the gear.

Internationally you may want to consider selling with Pink Noise Systems http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/, I haven't put anything on consignment with them before, but being UK based they to more business in Europe, where I think that band is still useable? Also, there's a place to sell gear on this forum where you may more easily find an international buyer.

If your lectro gear is newer and still in good condition (UCR411a /um400a and up) it's worth considering a re-blocing.  Lectro will re-block the units for you, expensive but still cheaper than selling and purchasing new, especially since Tx and Rx in that band are starting to resale at significantly lower prices.  I'm sending a couple kits to them next month. You can email them for a quote and turnaround time. 

Actually, for international buyers, too, it's probably easier to go through Gotham - easier for you that is. They make the whole international shipping thing much easier for you and put the cost of that on the buyer. International shipping does have its issues. I have bought many times from the various US usual suspectd. 

Just wanted to point out, though, that in the EU all US tx are illegal regardless of freq band, except, I believe, Zaxcom which can be switched to EU modulation and have the CE label

I have frequently been working in Mali, and on the last couple of trips I have had a bunch of "EU illegal" Audio Limited and Sony transmitter/receiver sets in the suitcase as donations for the local film institute and the TV station. They are really competent people down there, but purchasing  new equipment is often not an option, so the surplus gear have come to good use down there... It is very satisfying to give good equipment a second chance, and at the same time helping people.

15 hours ago, Constantin said:

Just wanted to point out, though, that in the EU all US tx are illegal regardless of freq band, except, I believe, Zaxcom which can be switched to EU modulation and have the CE label

Perhaps a manufacturer has to jump through certain hoops before selling their equipment in the EU, but as far as I know, provided it transmits at 50mW and is in a legal band there's nothing to stop a private [licensed] buyer using whatever he likes in the EU.

2 minutes ago, Lancashire soundie said:

Perhaps a manufacturer has to jump through certain hoops before selling their equipment in the EU, but as far as I know, provided it transmits at 50mW and is in a legal band there's nothing to stop a private [licensed] buyer using whatever he likes in the EU.

Unfortunately, no. US specific gear doesn't have the CE label, declaring that the equipment complies with all relevant EU laws, and thus mustn't be importet. Further, there is the deviation to consider which is limited to 50kHz (I think) in the EU and 75kHz in the US. 

This is why eg in the case of Lectro you can't easily combine US tx and EU rx or vice versa. 

Like I said, the only exception I know of, is Zaxcom where you can switch the tx/rx to EU modulation and they have that CE label on all their gear. 

27 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Unfortunately, no. US specific gear doesn't have the CE label, declaring that the equipment complies with all relevant EU laws, and thus mustn't be importet. Further, there is the deviation to consider which is limited to 50kHz (I think) in the EU and 75kHz in the US. 

This is why eg in the case of Lectro you can't easily combine US tx and EU rx or vice versa. 

Like I said, the only exception I know of, is Zaxcom where you can switch the tx/rx to EU modulation and they have that CE label on all their gear. 

The deviation of US transmitters can be changed to the EU mode by a competent seller/repair shop. It is not too expensive and works well. 

16 minutes ago, Christian Spaeth said:

The deviation of US transmitters can be changed to the EU mode by a competent seller/repair shop. It is not too expensive and works well. 

Really? How do they do that? Ambient once told me that the RF board needed to be changed. 

Still doesn't solve the CE issue, but maybe that's negligible, especially when assuming that Lectro will simply build all their gear to comply with both US and EU specs

Don't confuse CE with RF approvals.  CE is the consumer protection regulations - Separate RF regulations cover EU approvals for radio gear.  CE has no bearing on the radio testing and regulations.  All gear sold in the EU (legally) must bear the appropriate approvals for meeting the EU regulations for transmitters (50kHz deviation, 50 mW power output, SAR testing etc)  - said approvals must be done through a certified laboratory and the various nations notified through a "Notifying Body" - typically a division of the test labs.   So, a US unit certified under FCC regulations cannot be sold in the EU.  Yes, it can be modified to meet the EU regulations but still won't have the proper approvals marks (CE is NOT enough - and the radios must have both CE and RF approvals) .  The reverse holds true as well - an EU certified unit is not US legal unless that device is the same in both markets.  The NEW regulations that take effect in October of 2018 for US products will be compliant with the EU regulations (except for allowed power levels, which are higher for Part 74 - that's you guys).  For any lower powered units (<50mW), we will be able to have them tested and certified for both markets - and carry dual approvals.

Units that are capable of higher power cannot get EU RF approvals if they are wireless microphones operating in the normal UHF bands.

Messy - and very expensive - business.   Testing costs are ridiculous anymore.