Which Rycote Zeppelin? Navigating the maze...

dsc106

They have the modular system, the supershield systems, and the custom fit to a specific mic system...

I plan to have a shotgun for exteriors and a hyper or super for interiors, so the shotgun could stay in the zeppelin to make it quick to get to work. So, not so sure if I really need a system that I can reconfigure with a modular setup, but I do like flexibility if I decide to use it for something different in the future.

There seems to be a pretty good price range from $300 - $650, but not sure what to pick (or why I might select one model VS another).

And to top it off, then they have their newer Cyclone series.

Help?

I have a whole bunch of Rycote WS kits. I have the WS4 (for CMIT5U), WS3(for SPS200 and 8060), WS8 (for 8070), a AE Kit (for M/S setup), and a baby ball gag (for SPS200 and CMC641). Generally I also use super softies for basic things. I have the WS kits for harsher more extreme conditions.

They all get used but not as much as the Super Softies. Maybe start there

If I plan to leave the shotgun in the zeppelin at all times, which full on zeppelin kit do you recommend and why? I already have a softie.

They have this custom fitted kit which I *believe* is for the 8060 with module (but nothing else??):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/770024-REG/Rycote_86050_Windshield_Kit_2_MZL.html

VS... the WS3?? (link?)

I find Rycote's model numbers and selection confusing as hell. I want a zeppelin that is a great fit for my 8060 with module (or perhaps a 416 if I go that route instead). Is it possible to get one that will work with a different shotgun mic easily as well, or does that compromise the quality I can achieve by getting a zeppelin that is too large?

Please help me out here! Much thanks.

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet I highly recommend the Cinela Pianissimo over Rycote. I'll admit I haven't a/b'd with some of the newer Rycot blimps (only some of the older ones), but I know others that have and it really crushes them all on everything but price. It is truly transparent sound wise and the wind protection is stellar. I was doing some impromptu car sfx recording the other day and even with the Pianissimo outside going 0-60 there was no trace of wind or vibration noise . This was even without fur. I use it like you are planning to use yours. I just leave one of my DPA 4017s permanently mounted. More expensive, but worth it.

I have not pulled the trigger yet, and I think I could swing it budget wise... but what is the cost and best place to buy? I don't see on BH or Amazon?

Looks like it's around $750-$800, so not that much more than a $650 Rycote setup?

Also, it looks like this one will fit the 8060 + MZF 8000, as well as the Senn MKH 50, but *not* the Senn 416 -- correct?

Of course, good to know.

Do others affirm that the Cinela is worth it over Rycote?

I never seem to see this in use much or mentioned much in the industry (though that may just be my personal limited experience) - why is that? Are they less popular, less robust...?

If you're comparing Cinela and Rycote, then I think you should compare the Rycote Cyclone systems. I have a Cyclone system that works very well (and is more transparent and lighter than my older-style Rycote Windscreens). I can't directly compare my Cyclone to Cinela's systems, though.

http://rycote.com/microphone-windshield-shock-mount/cyclone/

Having a couple of kids in cub scouts, the motto "be prepared" comes to mind; and this is why I like the modular systems. You may only ever use it with one mic, but you never know what could pop up and you might want to add an extension to it in the future. For interiors, using the 50, something like the baseball would work, and Rycote just announced a furry cover for the baseball so you could use it outside in light wind as well. 

The NTG specific Rycote is almost identical to the supershield tested it with my friends supershield and the pods are interchangeable but if I remember it was actually cheaper, and you can buy different sizes pods if you need to accommodate a larger or smaller mic and it's quicker to use than the modular from the snap into place system, I think the modular is aimed towards stuff like MS when you want more than one mic. If you're thinking about spending a little bit more you may want to consider their Cyclone system especially if you are also considering the Cinela products 

Thank you all.

Other than cost efficiency, is there any reason I should consider Rycote over Cinela? Any products they offer that Cinela doesn't, or that do a better job?

Mics: MKH 8060 + MZF 8000 capsule (outdoor); MKH-50 (indoor, spot).