Hey Friends,

First post here. Just have a quick question regarding an audio issue on the Red Weapon 8K camera. Got an email this morning from the DP saying there's weird signal noise over the scratch track on the footage. We were shooting 23.98, I jammed with a Denecke lockit and was using a Sound Device 788t recorder for the project. I had 1 UCR411a hop on the Red sending a mono-feed/scratch-track to Ch-1 and was sending mic level to the camera.

Basically what it sounds like is that the Timecode signal itself was being ingested into the audio/scratch track. I'm wondering if this is an internal setting on the Red Weapon 8K, or if anyone has experienced anything like this before? TC was sync'd so post can pull my ISO's and overlay just fine, but I'm working with the same Red Weapon 8K again this week and would love to find a reason for this audio issue, and hopefully a fix. Could it be a potential firmware issue with the Camera? I'm going to read the manual today and see if there's any internal settings that might have caused this.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Evan

I understand that you want to solve this and I sympathize. I was a bit like that, too. But I have stopped reading camera manuals, because 

a. there are new ones all the time and 

b. my job is sound not camera. You make sure that whatever comes out of the 411a sounds awesome, the rest is a camera issue and the camera dept probably outnumbers the sound dept anyway, so why is this your job?

and with the TC link they don't really need sound on camera other than for their own pleasure (instant playback with sound), so let the dp who complained about it deal with it

Hey Constantin,

Thanks for such an awesome reply. Sound guys represent! We were also shooting with an FS7, scratch track was just fine on that camera, it definitely wasn't the 411a, but I just hate finding an issue and not having a solution for it. I do feel like it's on the camera end, and most likely something with the Weapon's internal settings. 99.9% sure it was actual time-code signal embedded on the scratch track though which is just really odd. 

You're also right, scratch track is more a personal preference and really isn't needed especially when TC is sync'd, but for the future I'm always interested in finding a workaround just so everyone can be happy. 

Make sure you turn phantom power off in the camera audio menu as that does induce noise on the mic inputs.

I had an issue come up today with a Weapon with the latest firmware update which allows internal recording simultaneously of Raw and some other hi-res codec (can't remember).  two tracks sent to cam (yes... as reference/scratch), were recoded to the Raw files, but no audio recorded to the other codec.  Audio was displaying on cam entire time, no menu settings to enable / disable audio record individually for each format, time code input accurate on both files.  Firmware issue likely but be aware.

Hello,

- You and the cam department should test the roundtrip before a shoot.

- Be aware that with the Beta Firmware you can get some mixed results. Allways use RELEASE BUILD for serious jobs. The Prores files should also get the audio if you have it on the RAW file.

- The stereo minijack input from the Weapon base expander (wich are not the same inputs as the Epic's) are just for scratch audio. The noise level is not made for clean audio (there is also a lot of RF/Wifi signal going on if you plan to use a RX G3 HF).

- You should check the audio input level. Line is way to hot, Mic could be to low.

- TC feed with the appropriate  cable (TC/Genlock/Trigger) will not bleed in your audio channel.

- Consider the audio input of the base expender as another low quality DSLR mic input.

- If you need better audio quality on camera, choose one of the professional audio module made for the Weapon.

Pat

mikewest   

Firstly editors do seem to prefer a mix sent to the camera so they and hear the words

during the edit and not rely on syncing/using the sound files

Secondly it's a RED so yeah!

mike

23 hours ago, mikewest said:

Firstly editors do seem to prefer a mix sent to the camera so they and hear the words

during the edit and not rely on syncing/using the sound files

Secondly it's a RED so yeah!

mike

Hi Mike,

Do you find this to be the case on narrative projects where the camera audio will definitely not be used?

The only time I have ever heard of an editor using camera audio for the edit turned out to be a total nightmare, as it wasn't possible to match back the production audio to follow the EDL created. A disastrous cost in time later to get all the original sound files with ISOs into the chopped up timeline.

The very first argument I make when not running sound to camera is that syncing sound must be the first step before editing.

Am I wrong? Has something changed in the years since this exchange occurred? Better software? This was about 8 years ago.

Robert