Dpa 4061 and double bass in beach

foliver

Hi, i was shocked, because i was affraid of the wind, and the ocean sound, i've never recorded a double bass with a hidden lav before, and i've finished the day with a nice ( to me ) recording, rich, with nice dynamics...the part i share here is just the first tests, then the girl played a full theme.

Yeah, that sounds lush! Good job! I think I would have tried to convince the director we don't need to conceal the lav altogether, just with a furry in the normal bridge position but you really made that mic work. Is it for a narrative production? Could you spill the secret location?

Hi, it's a feature film, so no way to have it exposed..

The tx was a high power 250C

I don't know the double bass parts in english to describe the position, so it's better to post the pictures.

Sticky+overcover, and some black tape.

Sorry for the picture size but i'm running to the set!

IMG_4307.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4312.jpg

The mic is attached to the inside of the tailpiece and the transmitter to the endpin.

I insert the 4061 inside the heart of the bridge with a foam windscreen and then cable tie the transmitter to the inside of the tailpiece. The sound I get from my double bass is very nice for me too. I am also attracted to the 4061 because it doesn't inhibit/dampen the vibrating parts of the instrument.

Strange setting for a double bass, what is the film? 

markcauvin.com

Good call for position, Fabian. I play viola, and have often miked it with a 4060 - rather than 'studio' choices of Bruel & Kjaer, Schoeps, ribbon ... ha, my skill level doesn't justify even the 4060! I have a couple of the violin mounts designed to go with the 4060/1; they go to the strings just behind the 'bridge', so very close to where you put the 4061. With the extra room behind the tailpiece on the cello and bass (compared to violin/viola) it's an ideal 'mounted' hiding place with minimal extra coloration, so good choice.

Jez

Hi Marc. I was not able to stick the mic in the bridge, because the cable stays exposed when running to the tx.

i was thinking to stick the tx in the tailpiece, it's a nice place for frontal shot, buy if the short was done from the side of the instrument it will be exposed...

it's a film, about two families, living at the seashore, the girl is the daughter of one of them.

I think it sounds really nice. Not only do you have some of the resonance, but also the bow and string sound. When the mic is hidden by being place in the F holes, the bow and string sound is nearly lost. If I would have any thing different with your recording, it would be to have more resonance, but given the restraints you had, I think it's excellent. The DPA worked well, and the Lectro held up well. I don't hear the transmitter limiter activating, which suggests you put some effort into setting the Lectro input level correctly. Well done.