Wandering Ear

ZMT3 & PowerRoll

I just received 2 ZMT3.5 transmitters, and I was very surprised to find that they are not capable of PowerRoll.  I figured with the short battery life this would be a critical feature.  Was this included in other versions of firmware?  Does anyone have PowerRoll on the ZMT3's?  Or is this just incorrect info on their website?

My transmitters came with V2-25 software.

I'm on an older firmware version 1-59 and it has PowerRoll. 

My ZMT3 Phantom doesn't have PowerRoll however.

Maybe I'll hold off on doing firmware updates. 

Interesting.  I've heard back from Zaxcom and they told me it is not capable, and are now going to remove the feature from the website and the manual.

Have you tested if power roll is working on your transmitters, and not just an in active menu item?

First off, I'm pretty disappointed at the battery life in general. I've had a pair of these for a month now and I average just over 4hr at 50 or 75mW, let alone the 5.5hr runtime that has been repeated from Zaxcom consistently, or anywhere close to the competing product's "real-world" runtime of close to 6hr (granted w/o features like NC, Znet, recording, 75mW option). 

I have yet to need these tiny packs for an extended period of time, but purchased them with the idea that PowerRoll could extend that runtime, whatever it may be, further. To now hear that it will no longer be implemented has me contemplating exchanging these for full-size TRXs. Would be nice to have an official statement from Zaxcom on the matter.

Since I recorded the Gotham video I decided to not include the power roll feature as it did not save as much  power as I expected it would at that time. Power roll is very effective with our TRXLA3.5 so it will continue to be a supported feature of that product. We do need to make sure the documentation is correct based on the final product specification.

Run time of the ZMT has been limited to about 5 hours. This of course has a lot to do with the capacity of the battery.

Glenn

Thanks for the clarification Glenn. For us end users, the documentation is all we have to go on when making our purchasing decisions, so the accuracy of those documents is important in avoiding surprises or disappointments.

Yup, I had an TRX3.5LT and it was funky and wouldn't transmit... I sent it in three time under warranty and was told the TRXLT3.5 were having issues and were to be discontinued.

"Yup, I had an TRX3.5LT and it was funky and wouldn't transmit... I sent it in three time under warranty and was told the TRXLT3.5 were having issues and were to be discontinued."

There are no I repeat no "issues" with the TRX3.5LT.

It is simply that everyone now wants the ZMT3.5 so you go with the flow.

Glenn