Strange buzzing on Zoom F8 (can you help me identifty the problem?)

polishdog90

Hello,

First off I'm new here so sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I wasn't sure if this should go here or in technical reference.

I work as an on set sound mixer/boom op and every once and a while my recorder picks up this really strange buzzing noise. I've been doing some googling and can't seem to find other people with this problem.

At first I thought it might be the lavs picking up some rogue wireless signal but it's coming through the boom track.

I run a Sennheiser MKH 50 into a K-Tek pole with an internal wire into my Zoom F8 portable recorder with a standard XLR cable.

It works perfectly like 98% of the time but every once in a while starts picking up this buzzing noise that sounds like a fly buzzing mixed with electric current. It usually works fine if I turn it off and turn it back on but it's still frustrating that it will ruin a take occasionally and I have no idea why. I assume it's an issue with the recorder but could it be an issue with the mic or phantom power?

I've attached a sample of a take where it started acting up.

Any advice on how to fix or even identify the problem would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance,
Louis

Zoom_Audio_Buzzing.mp3

21 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Is your camera department using a wireless remote focus or range-finding device?  

Not that I know of but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to camera equipment. The DP was definitely adjusting the focus on the lenses manually for the shoot that I provided the clip from.

6 hours ago, Patrick Farrell said:

I'm pretty familiar with this sound. It's what happens when the ground plate in the MKH 50 isn't making good contact. Simply tighten the screws on the mic.

That's amazing! Thank you Patrick. I'll get the screws nice and tight and see if that fixes the problem.