Daniel Ignacio

MixPre-6 – worth it for this beginner?

On 8/23/2017 at 11:17 PM, jhharvest said:

I've had this happen when:

-whip antenna on either TX or RX is actually broken, always wibble your antennas if you're renting

-talent has "adjusted" their TX so the whip is now wrapped around the mic cable or touching their sweaty skin (I use antenna pom poms but sometimes they still manage it)

-I didn't check for interference before switching on TX or the military radio comes on while we're shooting

Thanks for the wireless tips, I’ll do these things next time.

On 8/24/2017 at 2:50 AM, Constantin said:

did you do a scan beforehand?

when you had the problems, did you change the frequency?

I am not interested in the answers, just pointing out that, as I did before, there are more factors to consider. 

Just for the record, I scanned and adjusted at every location. In hindsight, it was a pretty busy wireless environment at both locations, so perhaps it may have been a lost cause for any sort of wireless micing for me.

On 8/24/2017 at 10:58 AM, Christian Spaeth said:

For the Rodelink you need line of sight. […] And there's a reason why nobody (yes, I mean nobody) uses the Rodelinks.

I’ve seen at least two professional sound mixers use Rodelinks for fiction narrative. One of them alongside his Lectros, which was a funny juxtaposition. :(

22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Personally I'd prefer the Zoom F4 (and it is what I used myself!).

I wrote my thoughts on this hear in my latest blog post

[…]

Fix the major gaps before thinking about upgrading your recorder.

Your blog post was among a lot that I read, actually. And that indeed is my new plan! – shotgun upgrade and at least one wireless lav.

3 hours ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

I’ve seen at least two professional sound mixers use Rodelinks for fiction narrative. 

This is a perfect example of an oxymoron 

I think it's fine. Daniel, you came for some advice and opinions, and you got some advice and opinions. Ultimately you have to decide which pieces of gear fit your budget, requirements and workflow. I read this forum because there's people here who have a lot more experience than I do and can share what works for them and what doesn't. I value their opinions and advice.

17 minutes ago, jhharvest said:

Daniel, you came for some advice and opinions, and you got some advice and opinions.

I sure did! Really loving the forum so far, it’s such a fantastic resource.

Exactly, get the best you can afford at the time you need it.  Bigger projects will have bigger budgets that should pay you enough to either rent what is needed or rent it themselves and have you run it...  By the way, I picked up a Maxx in mint condition with transmitter for about $2400 used.  I think they seem to be out there because people get them then realize they want the Nomad with zaxnet and such and sell these...woo hoo for me!

Interesting, I was doing a live streaming event where the client wanted 5 people mic'd.  I happen to have rodelinks, but upgraded mics to DPA 4060's, so had the opportunity to rent two extra Lectro 411 kits I needed, and made the mistake of running them off of batteries (they didn't have the power supplies), anyway on batteries they only last about 1.5 hours, so during the stream the CEO's mic cut out, so very quickly I swapped him out for a Rodelink.  The Rodelinks last over 8 hours on 2 AA's, and I can't hear anything in the lectros that sounded better, granted I do use better lapel mics on the Rodelinks, but they performed flawlessly in a 70 floor office building in the middle of the day (WIFI Central).  So I'll probably pickup a couple more Rodelinks for those gigs since they have never let me down.  So sure, in tough conditions would the rodelinks survive?  I don't know.  The lectros are definitely proven, but for those who don't have the power distribution to run them, the run times were problematic for my prior lack of experience with them.

daniel   

Rodelink: sounds good (like a wire :-) and the rest of the performance matches the price - bulky, only 8 channels, slow round corners, limited range and control - but for the price, pretty good. I use the Newsshooter plug-on on the occasions i need a plug-on and have line of site or for a scratch track to camera. The plug-on TX has the very nice feature of a HP minijack meaning a boom op can at least hear what they are doing with the mic. The HP o/p might even be explored as way of making a recording direct from the TX (as opposed to a recorder like the Tascam DR series with an o/p for a radio mic), happy days - although i'm not sure a TX with an o/p for potentially a recorder = a recorder with an o/p potentially for a TX.