Lectrosonics SMWB coming soon?

Matthew Steel

Yesterday I found some interesting equipment authorizations on the FCC web site.  They were granted in the last two weeks, and the information in the filings matches wideband versions of the SM transmitter, with references to both single (SMWB) and dual battery (SMDWB) packages.

FCC ID search here:

https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid

of particular interest were FCC IDs:

DBZSMWBA1

DBZSMWBB1

DBZSMWBB2

DBZSMWBC1

I just bought 4 SMQV's and two SRc's based on the explanation that wide band,  250mw output, and the "isolator" are not feasibly combined.

I wanted the 250mw capability, and hope I did not miss out on getting both the 250mw and isolator performance AND wide band tuning in this fiscal round because I misunderstood the possibilities.

Every single time I buy wireless gear, I find out, very shortly afterwards,  that something better is coming out in  a few weeks.

I wish spending lots of money felt more fun. I never feel like I have made an investment with wireless purchases but rather feel like I am patching holes in a life raft.  

Buying microphones is a whole lot more fun. 

The 250mW unit will continue using an isolator for the foreseeable future and will be one block wide due to the isolator. In short, money safely spent. Congress and their insatiable need for spectrum money has made life harder for manufacturers and their customers.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

4 hours ago, alenK said:

Really? Next week I'm getting a bunch of Lectro systems back after I had just had them re-blocked. That was all that was done, and yet here I am being excited about it. Ok, the SRa's got upgraded to SRb's in the process, but it almost feels like I'm getting new gear, when in everyday work nothing much will have changed. 

Somehow, I am always very excited when I get gear - back or shipped to me

On 8/18/2017 at 2:06 PM, alenK said:

Thank you for explaining. I apologize for the reaction. I realize that manufacturers have a whole lot more investment at stake than I do and have similar pressure to keep up with all the changes.

All the best. 

All is good. I feel the same way when a new model anything comes out with all the features I discovered I really wanted on the one I  just bought. Fire was probably the only invention that has stayed the same for millennia. Certainly the wheel never stood still.

Best,

LarryF

On 8/18/2017 at 10:25 AM, alenK said:

I just bought 4 SMQV's and two SRc's based on the explanation that wide band,  250mw output, and the "isolator" are not feasibly combined.

I wanted the 250mw capability, and hope I did not miss out on getting both the 250mw and isolator performance AND wide band tuning in this fiscal round because I misunderstood the possibilities.

Every single time I buy wireless gear, I find out, very shortly afterwards,  that something better is coming out in  a few weeks.

I wish spending lots of money felt more fun. I never feel like I have made an investment with wireless purchases but rather feel like I am patching holes in a life raft.  

You must really hate buying new cars, then.

16 hours ago, manuelchk said:

SSM is wide band and smaller and sounds great and has the 6-7h battery... unless the new "SMQVs" are 100mW or 250m the SSM is a much better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That SSM battery is not good for my needs. I need replaceable AA. Therefore, it's not a better option for everyone. 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

16 hours ago, manuelchk said:

unless the new "SMQVs" are 100mW or 250m the SSM is a much better option.

Isn't that what the V in SMQV implies? 

But anyway, the discussion is about an SMWB. No V. 

12 minutes ago, hobbiesodd said:

That SSM battery is not good for my needs. I need replaceable AA. Therefore, it's not a better option for everyone. 

Why is the battery not good for you?

I've used it. My needs require AA. I don't always have access to charge batts and sometimes we roll for longer than the SSM battery life. 

Cheers,
Evan Meszaros

You can have 2 batteries and run the whole day... I just love it.

18 minutes ago, manuelchk said:

You can have 2 batteries and run the whole day... I just love it.

Sure, I could. But then I'd need two for each (and I run 4-9 lavs any given day). And then, when I'm not near power for potentially days, I need 4 extra batts per unit. Or, I could just use the AAs that production provides and not spend more of my own money. 

Also, changing all my lavs over to Lemo is not something I want to do. 

Furthermore, the 50mW is insufficient for my needs. 

So, I reiterate, the SSM is not better for everyone. I'm looking forward to the new WB SM that Lectro releases. 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

I too await eagerly a wideband SM series. I've been holding out on buying wireless for quite a while to see if that would happen. As of now I have all SMQVs, and will probably start buying a new round of SMVs. If wideband SMQVs are available I may be persuaded to dip into that pot as well. 100mW is fine for me, my days doing extreme reality are mostly donefore, and that was really the only application I had for a quarter watt. These days antenna placement is more relevant than output power, though a 50mW limit is, well, limiting for my needs. 

+1 on not wanting to re terminate my wires to lemo and needing special batts re SSM. 

Can someone articulate how/what/where the features desired in a SM style dual AA battery wide band 50/100mW transmitter will compare to the current LT L-series dual AA battery wide band 50/100mW transmitters?

What sort of features or differences do you look forward to? 

Thank you.

19 hours ago, hobbiesodd said:

Sure, I could. But then I'd need two for each (and I run 4-9 lavs any given day). And then, when I'm not near power for potentially days, I need 4 extra batts per unit. Or, I could just use the AAs that production provides and not spend more of my own money. 

Also, changing all my lavs over to Lemo is not something I want to do. 

Furthermore, the 50mW is insufficient for my needs. 

So, I reiterate, the SSM is not better for everyone. I'm looking forward to the new WB SM that Lectro releases. 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

Sure, I can understand that. I love the SSM's (we are legally limited to 50mW here anyway), but sometimes I use the SMDB (SMQV), because I have an actor who I don't want to bother too often (or who I don't want to be bothered by) and these transmitters run all day. Or a complicated costume where the tx is buried...