M Sisco

Delivering files from multiple recorders

CMSD   
9 hours ago, Bouke said:

Guys,

I just made something that can do exactly this. (It works under lab circumstances here.)

Input mono or poly files, output one big poly.

It does not matter if the files start at the same time or not.

Track names / other metadata is retained, in both the BEXT and iXML chunk.

@pindrop, if you can elaborate on what you wolud like to see, I can probably build it in.

You can reply here (so others might add,) or drop me a line directly.

I hope to have a beta version on my site tomorrow.

Bouke

I would suggest having the option to add silence at the heads and tails of files shorter than the longest. I can see how on certain instances it would be better to heir on the side of caution and not "remove" any data for the sake of a common start/stop point. 

That said, it would also be nice to have the option to select a "master" track and have your app trim all other tracks to match it. This would be great for those using bodypack recorders in conjunction with a main bag or cart recorder, that would normally be recording continuously and independent from each other. Example of this would be Zaxcom TRXs recording on transmitter boot up.

Bouke   
On 8/31/2017 at 5:05 PM, vale said:

ALE export?

Vale,

That is not difficult, but I fail to see the point.

Could you elaborate on why you want this?

Avid imports a lot of metadata already. What does it not do then so you would need the ALE route?

Meanwhile, I have a working version for both Win and Mac.

https://www.videotoolshed.com/product/bwfmerge/

Bouke

@all,

It took some time, as I wanted it to be good, and sample accurate. (And i've managed to do so!)

I have a working version.

It accepts all kind of input files (mono, poly, even sr / bd can differ), and lets you merge them into poly files.

Metadata is retained for all inputs (well, channel name. Comment is taken from the first / most important one.)

You can also set the output patching if you want to re-order the tracks.

You can choose if you want one recorder to be 'master', and have other recordings trimmed to that in/out,

or have (a gazillion) different files, where as long as there is overlap between any files all will become one large one.

Multiple stop/starts of a rogue recorder is supported as well!

Get the demo, toy with it, feed me with anything you like to see!

(It's working, but still I like to add a lot more, but I need input!)

Last but not least, should I make a new thread about this?

Bouke

vale   
On 09 settembre 2017 at 4:45 PM, Bouke said:

Vale,

That is not difficult, but I fail to see the point.

Could you elaborate on why you want this?

Avid imports a lot of metadata already. What does it not do then so you would need the ALE route?

I really don't know why as well, but it happened that we were asked to provide ALE reports (i.e. for a couple of Netflix project last month). We told them that all the metadata were written on the audiofiles and on our digital sound reports but they still wanted the ALE report. So, since you're starting from scratch, I was asking.

Thanks anyway, I will try the demo.

V.

ALE , PDF and CSV have all been  offered as options on Cantar sound reports since the first Cantar X1 sound report function was introduced. They must have had their reasons. A sound editor I know has always asked for ALEs - they are helpful in some way.

Bouke   

Hi guys,

I'm highly interested in the why of ALE use. (Maybe in the old days it served a purpose, but nowadays...)

One big problem I've encountered with Avid is the UMID memory.

It is hard to test multiple outputs if the UMID does not change, as Avid (thus ProTools as well I assume) will take metadata from it's database rather than the file.

That's not bad for normal production, but a PITA when testing.

(If you output with Master selected, import that and do the same test again without, you may NOT see what's actually there.)

So, next step is to generate a new UMID. If someone has specs on what kind of UMID is used for BWF, please tell me!

Meanwhile, version 0.9.1 is out that at least upnumbers the UMID by 1 point from the source UMID

(And there are a few other improvements.)

Get it here:

https://www.videotoolshed.com/product/bwfmerge/

And there are a few screenshots explaining what the 'master' function does.

(in short, trimming / padding  all extra input to one recorders clip in/out.)

Bouke