Zaxcom Maxx AES out & Sony F5 not working

geluidswerken

Hi,

I just want to check if I am the only one, or that the two are just not compatible.

I can t find any topic about this.

Get always the message: not pro use audio on the F5 as soon as I connect with AES.

Found a workaround to press the power switch shortly on Maxx then it locks and works, but it is quite annoying to do that every time when one of the two is switched off or reconnected.

On other camera s it just works. And yes the latest firmware is loaded.

Any idear?

Best Ton

There have been previous discussions, but I don't recall under what topic(s).

It has been confirmed that Sony purposely makes their AES incompatible with other manufacturers' outputs. 

You would think that they wouldn't be allowed to call it AES as that is supposed to be a standard, but that's another discussion.

My info came from a Sony engineer who would know.  I guess I shouldn't say that no other unit will work with their AES inputs, just don't be surprised if it doesn't.

It's not unlike the fact that Sony purposely made the second channel unusable by slot-in receivers other than theirs -- something that Lectrosonics learned when they first come out with the SR.

11 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

A Sony engineer has confirmed that Sony basically chooses what equipment will be allowed to send AES into their equipment.

This is basically BS because AES is a standard that Sony is not adhering to - therefore they should not be allowed to call it AES if doesn't adhear to the AES standard.

For God sake

I talked to a guy at Sony and he said the inputs are not "AES" inputs they are "proprietary digital inputs" so only those manufactures that Sony deems worthy can use those inputs.  The Maxx and QRX's SONY F5 menu was there because I reversed engineered their key mechanism but now with newer firmware in their cameras they made it harder to get thorough.  The best course of action would be to just do what they want, sell all your gear and only buy Sony wireless from now on.