Sound Devices Approved Media for 633 - SanDisk question

thenannymoh

I really need a 128GB SD card for my sound Devices 688 and 664, however the "approved" 128GB SD cards are no longer available.  

So I decided to order a couple Sandisk Extreme 128GB SDXC cards, UHS-1, 90MB/s, 600X, model SDSDXVF-128G-ANCIN.

I have begun to test the card by recording to it until it is full, using my 688 with 16 channels "armed", tone generator turned on, automixer (Dugan) turned on, and occasionally going over to the 688 and turning a bunch of knobs and fiddling around with the menus.  After the card is completely full and the recorder stops, I do a quick format from within the 688, then I start over and do it again.  So far I have "filled" the card and reformatted 8 times (about 15 hours and 3 minutes record time), and best I can tell all appears to be okay.

Any suggestions as to what else I should do, or consider doing as a "test" before I put these cards into service?

Thanks,

Tom

On 12/26/2017 at 4:13 PM, TomBoisseau said:

I really need a 128GB SD card for my sound Devices 688 and 664, however the "approved" 128GB SD cards are no longer available.  

So I decided to order a couple Sandisk Extreme 128GB SDXC cards, UHS-1, 90MB/s, 600X, model SDSDXVF-128G-ANCIN.

I have begun to test the card by recording to it until it is full, using my 688 with 16 channels "armed", tone generator turned on, automixer (Dugan) turned on, and occasionally going over to the 688 and turning a bunch of knobs and fiddling around with the menus.  After the card is completely full and the recorder stops, I do a quick format from within the 688, then I start over and do it again.  So far I have "filled" the card and reformatted 8 times (about 15 hours and 3 minutes record time), and best I can tell all appears to be okay.

Any suggestions as to what else I should do, or consider doing as a "test" before I put these cards into service?

Thanks,

Tom

When the 664 came out there was an approved media list with a San Disk Ultra 64gb SD card on it. After awhile the card was removed from the approved list. I only bring this up because I'm assuming they tested the card rigerously prior to approval but then several months later had to delist it after some issues arose. So even after the testing you've done, I'd still be weary. That being said, I believe Scott Farr (he posted it on JW a few years back) was using unapproved Lexar media without issue, so it can happen. Good luck. Keep us posted. 

PS. The other part I'm curious about is why not just use the 64gb approved cards? According to SD's audio calculator you'd get over 8 hours 24/48 wav files when recording 16 tracks on a 64. 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, Matthew Marzano said:

When the 664 came out there was an approved media list with a San Disk Ultra 64gb SD card on it. After awhile the card was removed from the approved list. I only bring this up because I'm assuming they tested the card rigerously prior to approval but then several months later had to delist it after some issues arose. So even after the testing you've done, I'd still be weary. That being said, I believe Scott Farr (he posted it on JW a few years back) was using unapproved Lexar media without issue, so it can happen. Good luck. Keep us posted. 

PS. The other part I'm curious about is why not just use the 64gb approved cards? According to SD's audio calculator you'd get over 8 hours 24/48 wav files when recording 16 tracks on a 64. 

Well, the 688 is saying 15hrs for a 128GB card.  I might be able to get away with a 64GB card, but that wouldn't give me any wiggle room for some of the "all day" events I've been doing.  128GB is much safer (assuming of course that it works reliably). 

So far the Sandisk Extreme 128GB SDXC card (UHS-1, 90MB/s, 600X, model SDSDXVF-128G-ANCIN) seems stable!

Tom

11 hours ago, TomBoisseau said:

Well, the 688 is saying 15hrs for a 128GB card.  I might be able to get away with a 64GB card, but that wouldn't give me any wiggle room for some of the "all day" events I've been doing.  128GB is much safer (assuming of course that it works reliably). 

So far the Sandisk Extreme 128GB SDXC card (UHS-1, 90MB/s, 600X, model SDSDXVF-128G-ANCIN) seems stable!

Tom

Is a double recorder system planned/viable in the context? Any hiccups on a single long record could be painful. 

• 4 years later...

Hi could someone he help me with a SD card question?

I am using SD cards from the approved list with my 663 and everything is working great, my question is... can i use any SD card (including ones not recommended for use in the mixer) for storing files to? these cards would never be used in the 633 only for backing up from a Macbook.

many thanks 

Nathan 

You can certainly do it.  You'll have to decide whether it suits your needs; in general, offline SD cards aren't a great backup solution, because flash-based media can fail without warning.  But if you're just storing it for a few months to make sure you have something if production comes back to you, the risk of failure is pretty damn low.

If you are trying to back something up permanently, you need to understand that all media will fail — it's not if but when.  A proper backup solutions plans around this by having redundancy, and by constantly checking for failure.

The gold standard for backup is "3-2-1":  3 copies, 2 different media, 1 of which is off-site.  That's probably overkill for backing up your dailies, but it wouldn't be for the main production files if you had spent millions on production.

So ... will it work to back up to SD cards?  Technically, yes.   Is it adequate (and cost-effective)?  You need to define how paranoid you want to be about those backups, and how much time and money you want to spend to avoid that paranoia.

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2023 at 11:26 AM, Mauricio Banda said:

Hello,

could someone put links to SD and CF cards that work perfectly with the Sound Devices 633.

I would really appreciate it.

I ask because they put cards on their website that are no longer easy to find.

thank you so much

Approved Media - Sound Devices

This may not help you Mauricio, but perhaps it will give you some guidance.

I called Sound Devices, just moments ago, asking questions about an updated list of media for the 8 series...

I was told the 8 Series recorders are less fussy with media than are the 6 series, and a good rule is to not use the two cards that are listed as not approved.

I purchased some new cards which seem to be updated versions of cards on the approved list, with faster write speeds. I am not sure if Sound Devices tests cards or relies on us to report problem cards.

The only card I have ever had fail was a Sound Devices SD card in an SD 688 a few years ago. It was replaced by my dealer.

Cheers,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience with an 833, the mixer is more fussy with SD cards than other Sound Devices products I’ve owned - 552, 664 … I’ve had record errors with Sound Devices own media and the mixer is also prone to popping up playback errors when playing back from any approved SD Cards. Sound Devices apparently know about the issues with Playback - though frustratingly have yet to fix them, and the issues with recording are apparently caused by batches of faulty media - though I encountered the same issue with high speed Sony SD cards the other day so who knows …

I don’t want to turn this into a gripe session, but Sound Devices are clearly not scratching for dosh given the Audio Limited deal etc, so it’s perplexing that they haven’t addressed these issues with more alacrity.