Cabled boom poles: Cable exit versus fixed connector

I’m relaxing by window-shopping for boom poles today, and I stopped by Ambient’s site. After watching their rather amazing Quickpole product video, I noticed that they offer an interesting flow-through, side exit option for their cabled poles. Here’s a coiled-cabled QXS with that option:

QCCX-QX550-S.jpg

The only cabled poles I’ve used so far have all had built-in male XLR connectors, so it led me to wonder: What advantages would a cable exit offer over a fixed connector?

1 hour ago, Klaus said:

The idea, simply is to put the boom down to the floor on the bumper, not connector. Secondly, it also works for the straight cable option. Lastly, we also do offer a connector butt-end version.

I knew this, but I’m wondering what booming preferences would make someone go with a side cable exit, rather than a side XLR connector.

I believe the exit as shown above would appeal to some because

1) over time, connecting and reconnecting to an XLR embedded in the structure of a pole could put strain on the connector itself, causing damage

2) if there were ever cable problems that you wanted to fix or replace within pole itself, it could be done more quickly and with less complication

3) the above pic looks like the XLR holder is adjustable, in terms of where you want it exiting your pole...I can maybe imagine some situations where that might be of benefit

I use that pole with the cable exit. It allows me to place the pole on the ground without damage to the connector. The cable also feeds in a way which doesn't get in my way. It's easy to service too, and the end screws off and fits in my peli if I need to fly it. Works for me.

Side angled connector would stick out more prominent and might be mor susceptible to mechanical damage. Here the cable sneaks along the side. Not only can you adjust the position and/or orientation of the connector itself, you can also loosen the sleeve and "disknot" or unwind twists in the coiled cable what frequently happens on coiled cables and sometimes make it hard to collapse properly.