Jamming TC From a 633 to a Denecke TS-3

SlaughterSound

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the film industry and have worked on a bunch of low budget films as a sound recordist. In all of these gigs, a dumb slate has been used, and I've just tracked and delivered audio to the editor to be manually synced in post. I just scored my first gig as a location sound mixer and am using a 633, with two IFB hops, and a smart slate. The production company is using FS7's but they do not have the back plate so I have no way to jam time code to the camera's. The producer wants me to just use the smart slate and jam timecode from the 633 to the slate. I've gone into the time code menu on the 633, selected "Jam TC" and connected the Denecke to it and turned on the slate power. The slate won't match the time code from the 633. I can't figure out how to get it right. Any advice from all of you seasoned vets?

Thanks

Sean

I would at least expect some self indulging in readily available data before even landing that gig.. 

Start reading now... Don't look for easy answers...study..read..look around...read the manuals...over and over... Then hit those streets for gigs.. believe it or not it will take hours not days to read up on that 633 manual.. print it...put it by the toilet.

Not a big deal... The answers are right there waiting for your discovery..

Best of luck...

As I hope you have now discovered, jamming TC in the 633 menu refers to jamming the 633 from an external source. You want the 633 to generate its own TC by setting it to 24hr Run. This will use the system clock to generate time code. The clock should be set for 24hr Time Format.

Then all you have to do is make sure you have a cable wired correctly to send time code from the lemo output of the 633 to the 1/4 TS input of the TS3 slate.

7 hours ago, RPSharman said:

As I hope you have now discovered, jamming TC in the 633 menu refers to jamming the 633 from an external source. You want the 633 to generate its own TC by setting it to 24hr Run. This will use the system clock to generate time code. The clock should be set for 24hr Time Format.

Then all you have to do is make sure you have a cable wired correctly to send time code from the lemo output of the 633 to the 1/4 TS input of the TS3 slate.

Thanks so much for the info!

11 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

Have you taken a look at the 633 manual at all?  

I just received the rental kit with the 633 yesterday. The shoot is today. I know the value of reading up on gear as I have been an audio engineer working in my recording studio for 20 years. Doing sound for film is new territory for me. I figured out all I need to know for this shoot, and I hope to purchase a 633 soon. I'll read the manual inside and out.