Digital-analog sync sound

JonG

Since there was no post production supervisor, and I got a lot of different answers and opinions here, I didn't roll TC on the Nagra. I was 24fps on the 788T, and used a 4.2 at 60Hz per @Philip Perkins suggestion and we used a dumb slate. If that is inconvenient for production then next time they need to have a plan in place. That's about all I could do. 

Out of interest did you record off tape (playback head while recording) from the nagra into the 788 ? I have found this doesn't sound the best. I still use my Stellavox alot for music recording as it sounds way better than my digital kit (which is Sonosax and sounding very good ). I have found recording straight off the playback head while recording does not sound as good as doing a tape to digital transfer after the recording has been done ( a few music engineers i know agree with me ).  Obviously separate tape to digital transfer not ideal on set ,end up recordist/dit. I wondered out of interest as a commercials director i know was wowed by a Stellavox recording i made and we are trying to work out the best route for some simple stella recording spots for commercials.

thks Lisala

On 10/8/2017 at 7:41 AM, JonG said:

I will say that the workflow on the film was a lot more enjoyable. Just before this film, I was working on another with an Alexa where we would do endless takes of every shot imaginable so that they could have "options" in post. Basically, another director without a vision or a plan. I don't consider that to be film making at all.

Working on a film using 35mm did reduce the endless rolling and they would actually block and rehearse the scene and camera movements, so that when we did a take, it meant something. And we would only do one or two takes, then move on. 

I had forgotten what a privilege it is to work under those circumstances, and it makes me kind of sad that the "options for post" model is what is the norm and is likely just going to get worse in time. 

I think even more important than simply the gear, and length of time on each take, was the simple fact that back in the day on film you would shoot a master then move on to coverage....  Actual coverage in mediums and close ups allowing the crafts including us to get in and get the pretty stuff...  This was really important especially for make up, hair and sound... Camera and lighting was also able to get things tweaked just right to maximize the look they were after... This all went South a bit with digital cameras, the long takes, multiple cameras and loss of focus relating to the concentration on shooting one thing at a time and doing it well.

Funny, but one cure to any wireless dependency or frequency issues is to simply go back to shooting things like they did for a hundred years.... Master and coverage... Everyone is happy but the Producer and Director..(Less coverage options) and less speed in getting multiple shots done at the same time... Booms would be able to get the majority of what were after...just like the old days... Oh well...  The cats out of the bag and I doubt it's going back in.

3 hours ago, dolo72 said:

Out of interest did you record off tape (playback head while recording) from the nagra into the 788 ?

Yes I did record out from the Nagra and back into the 788, but I'm almost certain that post will go through and use my ISOs to do a proper dialog edit. The director expressed interest in running that edited track through the Nagra. Will see.