Sign in to follow this  
Brian

DPA 4017B Vs CMIT 5U

4017 does well in humidity. Been in the rain with it many times as well as in Cambodia in very humid conditions. 

I also use it a lot with an HMa and you just need to crank up the gain. 

I chose the C preamp for the size which is amazing. I sometimes find it a bit sensitive on the boom with regards to handling noise with the included rycote basket. I've eventually got some harder lyres which seem to help a lot. Might consider an inline cut for more run and gun stuff. 

4017 also has surprisingly good reach and sounds great indoors. Great for interviews. However it's still a shotgun mic, so indoors on a wide shot I'd still prefer a super cardiod like the MKH50 etc. 

I don't want to gain the HMa up anymore than I have to.  It's the weakest point in the signal chain.  In quiet situations you start to hear it.

8 hours ago, Brian said:

I don't want to gain the HMa up anymore than I have to.  It's the weakest point in the signal chain.  In quiet situations you start to hear it.

Cranking up the Hma gain allows you to reduce the receiver gain by the same amount dropping the link noise (RF LINK) by the same amount. Check the manual for exact instructions. If the Hma is indeed the weak link, it will make a big improvement. Best, LEF

After praising the 4017 so much, I just wanted the add that the CMIT is also an awesome mic. The way it handles speech transients (not sure if that is the correct term), like T, D, K and also plosives, is unparalleled. They just sound silkier, smoother. 

I mean, we are talking miniscule differences, but that's how I hear them. Someone else may hear them differently