IT (2017) Sound

mojofunkster

Hey guys, just got done watching It (2017) and I was curious what you guys thought of the sound. The sound design and music were very good, but it sounded like the dialogue was distorting constantly. It sounded like distortion from getting crushed by compressors. Definitely sounded like something that was done on set and not in post. Maybe it was just the center speaker at the theater I was at, but I was curious if anyone else had the same experience.

Seems exceedingly unlikely that it would be a production sound error, and as unlikely a post choice/mistake. My guess would be the theater. I experienced muddy unintelligible dialog on one of my films recently at one theater. At another it was crisp and clear, as it had been when I attended the final mix. 

Personally, if I'm un happy with the presentation of a theatrical release I make my observations respectfully to the theatre's management or projectionist. The response is usually reasonable and considered. My guess is, in this instant, they would probably put their hand up, try to resolve the issue and offer you another ticket. I doubt they would want to be heard blaming anything upstream before being sure it was not an in house issue.

Mojofunkster, I heard the exact same thing. I noticed it in the scene when the boys enter the sewer by the river, after Ben gets cut and they find the missing girl's shoe. I can't imagine that was an artistic choice. I'm guessing they cleaned it up in post and decided it wasn't worth ADR, or schedules wouldn't allow for it- who knows. It was obvious on the super loud IMAX theatre but if i had been watching at home i may not have noticed. 

On 9/11/2017 at 10:31 PM, duzer4D said:

Mojofunkster, I heard the exact same thing. I noticed it in the scene when the boys enter the sewer by the river, after Ben gets cut and they find the missing girl's shoe. I can't imagine that was an artistic choice. I'm guessing they cleaned it up in post and decided it wasn't worth ADR, or schedules wouldn't allow for it- who knows. It was obvious on the super loud IMAX theatre but if i had been watching at home i may not have noticed. 

That's where I noticed it first. Wasn't terrible the whole time but it was really noticable during that scene specifically.

• 2 months later...

Just so you guys are aware, the film was recorded by two different mixers on two different machines and with different wireless systems. Dunno if that affects your theories on what's happening there. I worked doing a couple of dailies for one of the mixers and full time for the other. I still haven't seen it though.