Headphone

Partha666

9 minutes ago, Mungo said:

... wouldn't use them to judge equalizing because they sound brighter than the result on loudspeakers. 

+1 to 7506 in the field for spotting problems, if that's what you've gotten used to.

But +99 for the equalization warning. It's not just that the curve is different than speakers in air. It's that we listen differently to speakers in air! Dynamics are affected a lot because of how we attend to the sound; and while stereo soundstage is more-or-less the same, the brain misses the localization cues from tiny head movements.

The only time I've found quality decisions on headphones to be accurate, is when I'm sure the viewer will be watching with headphones. Or perhaps in a closed, nearfield kiosk.

I think the diffs between a headphone mix and a speaker mix (as JR says) are a way bigger deal than diffs in mixes done on various headphone types (above a certain quality level, esp BEATS phones).  I use Sony 75 etc because I know them, have internalized what they are telling me after decades of use.  I had hoped that that same consistency would apply when using the Remote audio high-noise phones (that have Sony 7506 drivers) but it's kind of not true.  On location music gigs I often find myself using normal 7506 for mic placement and setup and then switch to the high-noise phones when the music starts.

10 hours ago, Constantin said:

Get a small mobile EQ

Generally not a bad idea. But before I get extra weight into my System an another thing in the chain that might brake down at some point I will keep searching for a Headphone that just more suits my needs.

Has anyone used Ultrasone Headphones? The Pro-900i and the Performance 880 have been described as warm, so maybe that is worth a try?

On 18.11.2017 at 8:52 PM, soundtrane said:

dont be an idiot - at least get the spelling right before you post here. 

Dear Community - Apologies for not spotting this one - i should have bitch slapped this before it went anywhere ahead... 

No worries, we can take it. In fact we have to be able to take it. Being a sound mixer requires lots of tolerance for all kinds of unprofessional behavior.

10 hours ago, Ohrenzeuge said:

Generally not a bad idea. But before I get extra weight into my System an another thing in the chain that might brake down at some point I will keep searching for a Headphone that just more suits my needs.

And that is probably best. Still, the EQ would be in your headphone chain, so even if it did break down, it wouldn’t be much of an issue. You could just go on without it. 

But you could also consider building your own passive low pass filter, as that’s really what you need, isn’t it? It’s not that difficult and you don’t need to sacrifice dc for it.