Large blimp vs smaller blimp

Mark Farag

Been using the newer version of the Rode Blimp with Rycote shock mounts for about a year with my 416. Works great. No complaints other than its size. I noticed Rycote released a blimp last year that's specifically designed for the 416 and similar sized mics. It's considerably smaller and lighter.  My question: generally speaking does the size of a blimp have a direct effect on its ability to cut out wind noise?  It seems to me the larger the shielded area around the mic the more wind protection, but I'm sure there are other factors such as material and shape. I'm trying to keep my kit as small/light as possible and am thinking about upgrading to the much smaller Rycote, but not if it won't be as effective. Thoughts?  Also, anyone have any experience with the new Rycote?  They mention it will also fit a Sanken CS-3e, DPA 4017b, and CMIT.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1056426-REG/rode_blimp_windsheild_rycote_lyre_suspension.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1246569-REG/rycote_010324_windshield_kit_for_the.html

Thanks,

Mark

Hello Mark I've had both and I'd rather go with the small one, but if you want the best just save for the Cinela and you will be happy forever. You will have a Blimp more expensive than your mic tho...

Between those two the sound protection I'd say is the same but I've never done a A/B testing, so it's just better constructed, smaller, lighter, better deadcat...

Not worth the upgrade in my opinion. Save for better mic or the Cinela.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, manuelchk said:

Hello Mark I've had both and I'd rather go with the small one, but if you want the best just save for the Cinela and you will be happy forever. You will have a Blimp more expensive than your mic tho...

Between those two the sound protection I'd say is the same but I've never done a A/B testing, so it's just better constructed, smaller, lighter, better deadcat...

Not worth the upgrade in my opinion. Save for better mic or the Cinela.

Thanks manuelchk. So there is a noticeable difference in sound quality retention and/or effective wind noise reduction with the Cinela vs. the new Rycote? I'll look into their products, appreciate the info. Just curious, what mic(s) are you using? Thanks, Mark 

Thanks manuelchk. So there is a noticeable difference in sound quality retention and/or effective wind noise reduction with the Cinela vs. the new Rycote? I'll look into their products, appreciate the info. Just curious, what mic(s) are you using? Thanks, Mark 

Here is a video where you can hear the difference between the best rycote and cinela, just impressive:

https://youtu.be/rQ95l5cIexk

I use Schoeps CMiT 5u, Schoeps CMC641, DPA 4017b, Sanken CS3, and before them I've had the Sennheiser MKH60, MKH50, some AT...

The rycote blimp you reference is the same style that Rycote has had on the market for a long time. The cyclone is Rycotes newest blimp. The cyclone offers greater wind protection than the previous models. The cinela is an excellent windscreen. What other types of gear do you have? Your money may be better spent upgrading microphones, wireless, or recorders. If it is working for you is it really worth $900 plus for a new blimp?

Here is a video where you can hear the difference between the best rycote and cinela, just impressive:

https://youtu.be/rQ95l5cIexk

I use Schoeps CMiT 5u, Schoeps CMC641, DPA 4017b, Sanken CS3, and before them I've had the Sennheiser MKH60, MKH50, some AT...

I will let you figure out what is wrong with this so called "test"

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Please tell us, I couldn't see anything.

And don't say deathcat because neither of them are using them.

The physics of wind don't work that way so swinging the mics around like that are not an indication of their wind blocking abilities.

I have used both and you need to put fur on the cinela before the cyclone when the wind picks up.

On 18.9.2017 at 1:11 AM, manuelchk said:

Please tell us, I couldn't see anything.

And don't say deathcat because neither of them are using them.

What's a deathcat? Sounds like something horrible out of a jungle...

If you mean a fur, then yes they are using one on the Cinela, and then another one. But never on the Cyclone. 

Anyway, it's still a pointless comparison. 

On 17.9.2017 at 5:57 AM, yophoto91 said:

My question: generally speaking does the size of a blimp have a direct effect on its ability to cut out wind noise? 

Generally speaking: yes. 

Will you encounter winds strong enough where it will make a difference? Your choice. 

I was recently working in very strong winds and the only system that worked was a Rycote Stereo blimp (the one for the CMIT MS setup) with the sock and the fur. The mic was the DPA 4017c, so it was a really tiny mic in a really large blimp.  I had also with me the small Cyclone and the Cinela long fur. But nothing was as good. 

But that is a rare occurrence for me, so usually I just use the small Cyclone without fur. 

What's a deathcat? Sounds like something horrible out of a jungle...

If you mean a fur, then yes they are using one on the Cinela, and then another one. But never on the Cyclone. 
Anyway, it's still a pointless comparison. 

We call death cat to furs here in Los Angeles, you can go to sleep knowing a new thing buddy.

And no, they are not using any fur in some of the tests, and then they use the long one on others, have you seen a Cinela ever?

Why this bullshit? Just help the guy of the post, one guy telling is not a good test but giving NO reasons and the other who doesn't know what is a dead cat (fur) and never seen a cinela giving useless points to the matter.

Have a nice day.

8 minutes ago, manuelchk said:

We call death cat to furs here in Los Angeles, you can go to sleep knowing a new thing buddy.

And no, they are not using any fur in some of the tests, and then they use the long one on others, have you seen a Cinela ever?

Why this bullshit? Just help the guy of the post, one guy telling is not a good test but giving NO reasons and the other who doesn't know what is a dead cat (fur) and never seen a cinela giving useless points to the matter.

Dude, relax. You are jumping to conclusions and that rarely ends well. 

Thanks for teaching me deathcat word, I can sleep well now, knowing there is this guy who can't take a joke. And it is funny how this word has never come up here before. Or at least, I haven't read it. Anyway, glad I could learn at least something. 

Please, read the rest of my post, as you very clearly did not, because you jump to conclusions without any basis. 

I did help the guy, I told him size matters. 

To clarify my clumsily worded earlier response: at first they are not using a fur (oh sorry, deathcat) on either blimp, but then they put one on the Cinela, but not on the Cyclone. It even says so in the video. 

Perhaps you should actually watch the video you post a link to?

Dude, relax. You are jumping to conclusions and that rarely ends well. 

Thanks for teaching me deathcat word, I can sleep well now, knowing there is this guy who can't take a joke. And it is funny how this word has never come up here before. Or at least, I haven't read it. Anyway, glad I could learn at least something. 

Please, read the rest of my post, as you very clearly did not, because you jump to conclusions without any basis. 

I did help the guy, I told him size matters. 

To clarify my clumsily worded earlier response: at first they are not using a fur (oh sorry, deathcat) on either blimp, but then they put one on the Cinela, but not on the Cyclone. It even says so in the video. 

Perhaps you should actually watch the video you post a link to?

I didn't see the joke, my mistake, please accept my apologies.

Regarding the video there are basically two set ups. One without the fur for both blimps and then they add the fur to the Cinela, which it's not fair for the Rycote.

I just find them better than the rycote, call it personal preference if you like... but I'd say everyone here would say the same if they try both.

All the best.

The first line under the video was:

Private test made by Philippe CHENEVEZ 

That moment I closed the tab and forgot about it.

"the only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself"

:-)

I am not saying he faked anything but a comparison made by the founder

of the manufacturer of one of the products.....mmmmh

well, at least they have put it the full disclaimer that it was a test by the manufacturer. 

so sure, I expect that they wouldn't have posted it if the outcome  was the opposite, but from what I've seen from philippe it's hard for me to imagine that he deliberately rigged the test.

but the short story is, most blimps will work most of the time with most mics. there are some really delicate setups where one might show´significantly better results then the other, but in these cases there's often personal tweaking involved anyway. 

Appreciate all the responses. I wish there were a few more videos floating around that showed the differences between these systems in more practical situations (ex. recording dialog or ambiance in a windy forest/beach/city). I typically don't need to violently swing a pole side to side such extreme distances as demonstrated in that video.  More interested in finding the best balance of reasonable wind reduction, size/weight of blimp, and the least colored sound. Makes me want to find a way to conduct my own detailed test. Might look into contacting a dealer and checking if they'll lend a few of these babies for the purpose of a comprehensive video test.

It's called a dead cat..........

Anyway Yophoto91 gets it, there is nothing scientific about a "test" carried out by the owner of cinela swinging a pole violently back and forth.

Want to know how good the cyclone is at blocking wind noise ask me or better yet as the guys who have used them in the artic.

Or "the Rat". 

Re bigger zeps for higher winds: yes.  The size of the "dead air" zone around the mic capsule does make a diff.  Years ago I made a doc in the Alps with a lot of very high wind on high mountains.  For normal ambiances etc a small blimp (Lightwave 416 size) served the Neumann RSM 190i just fine.  When the wind got really serious then a large Rycote made for that mic was used, to good effect (also on "out the window" micing from cars, trains etc @ speed).  That Rycote is pretty large--not a great thing for overhead booming w/ camera re: shadows etc, but the greater size made a big diff in very windy conditions.