Update on the upcoming Tentacle Sync-E

Mark Farag

The advantage with a tentacle is the built in microphone, so there's an option with DSLR shoots for waveform sync if the NLE can't handle Audio LTC, however I agree that the USO, Nanolockit, or the new Betso are very close competitors. Depends what features you need as to which one is a better shout.

4 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

Timecode boxes have become like printers or something like that in such little time. Not too long ago it was almost a luxury, now you have plenty of very affordable options and they're all really good IMO, so you can't really go wrong on either of the aforementioned.

True. Which makes it even more frustrating no1 has really combined 1 with a method of sending a scratch audio track. Eg something like a Rode link with a TC O/P. Tentacle is small enough to velcro to a RX Rode but i would prefer a 1 box solution. 

41 minutes ago, daniel said:

True. Which makes it even more frustrating no1 has really combined 1 with a method of sending a scratch audio track. Eg something like a Rode link with a TC O/P. Tentacle is small enough to velcro to a RX Rode but i would prefer a 1 box solution. 

Zaxcom IFB + ERX does exactly this, and can also be used as dedicated IFB.  It also re jams wirelessly through the day without having to re jam.

22 hours ago, thunderfm said:

The advantage with a tentacle is the built in microphone, so there's an option with DSLR shoots for waveform sync if the NLE can't handle Audio LTC, however I agree that the USO, Nanolockit, or the new Betso are very close competitors. Depends what features you need as to which one is a better shout.

And this is why even though I bought the Ultrasync ONE kit, I'll still be keeping my Tentacles. 

Would have rather seen the Tentacle update get locking 3.5mm connection + 3.5mm audio input for the scratch tract. (as built in scratch mic is nice, but giving other options instead as well is nice)

10 hours ago, Prahlad Strickland said:

Zaxcom IFB + ERX does exactly this, and can also be used as dedicated IFB.  It also re jams wirelessly through the day without having to re jam.

Wow, so for nearly $2000 i can have $600 dollars worth of 2.4ghz audio and a TC O/P in the 1 box. Seriously, I think there has got to be a middle ground between velcro-ing 2 cheap (but effective $300) boxes together and $2000 system (where I pay quite a lot extra for functionality I don't need - I.e. zaxnet remote control of a wireless system I don't have, need or want).

If I'm not hardwired to camera, most of my jobs fall into the category of needing a scratch track and/or a TC feed. A cost effective 1 box (each end) solution which can do either or both would be a really nice thing. For me, the only reason why you would go with the IFB+ERX solution is if you already have, or intend to buy into more of the zax system (and I don't). The latest range of TC boxes (TCB, Ambient, Betso) offer more functionality (than previous TC systems and the ERX solution) for the extra departments/crew on bigger shoots re logging, sharing metadata etc. I think for anything requiring extensive TC distribution these systems are a no-brainer as they are relatively cheap and the features you pay for are available no matter what radio mic or recorder system you choose to use. However most of my clients don't have the bods on set to make the most of this extended functionality either. I think this box will happen at some point because generating TC has got a lot cheaper and sharing a housing, a battery and possibly a connector with an audio component is clearly viable (ERX).

Wow, so for nearly $2000 i can have $600 dollars worth of 2.4ghz audio and a TC O/P in the 1 box. Seriously, I think there has got to be a middle ground between velcro-ing 2 cheap (but effective $300) boxes together and $2000 system (where I pay quite a lot extra for functionality I don't need - I.e. zaxnet remote control of a wireless system I don't have, need or want).

If I'm not hardwired to camera, most of my jobs fall into the category of needing a scratch track and/or a TC feed. A cost effective 1 box (each end) solution which can do either or both would be a really nice thing. For me, the only reason why you would go with the IFB+ERX solution is if you already have, or intend to buy into more of the zax system (and I don't). The latest range of TC boxes (TCB, Ambient, Betso) offer more functionality (than previous TC systems and the ERX solution) for the extra departments/crew on bigger shoots re logging, sharing metadata etc. I think for anything requiring extensive TC distribution these systems are a no-brainer as they are relatively cheap and the features you pay for are available no matter what radio mic or recorder system you choose to use. However most of my clients don't have the bods on set to make the most of this extended functionality either. I think this box will happen at some point because generating TC has got a lot cheaper and sharing a housing, a battery and possibly a connector with an audio component is clearly viable (ERX).

I don't do scratch tracks, avoids the possibility of someone using it by mistake

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I stopped by Tentacle HQ a few weeks ago and had a look at the new Sync-E. 

I think it has a few pretty cool features, especially this whole new Bluetooth deal. 

It still hasn't got a locking connector, BUT they have this little clip-on (as shown in the video), which firmly holds the connector in place. And with the new Tentacle app you can actually see if the connector is having a connection. I don't see how it can get much safer than that. 

The Bluetooth deal I believe, is low energy BT, of the kind used in heart monitors and the like. This means the drain on the battery (of the Tentacle and of the phone) is pretty minimal. You can also have several connections at once, so you can check all your Tentacles in one screen. Any Bluetooth enabled device can access this and look at the TC, inlcuding smart watches. There is also a safety feature to make sure only the owner (or whoever) can change settings of the Tentacle. 

You can also check your Tentacles for accuracy with this. 

And all this without the need for an additional box in my bag or on my cart. 

Of course, they will also work without Bluetooth. 

I'm sure there was more, but I don't remember at the moment. 

Ambient has a cable that interfaces with a tiny Lockit via lemo and has an 1/8" female input for an external audio source such as a microphone. It then goes to a single stereo 1/8" male plug. Have used it extensively and works very well. I suppose you could use the cable with whichever sync device that has a lemo output as well

• 1 month later...
On 20/09/2017 at 11:52 PM, Prahlad Strickland said:

Zaxcom must be become with an ERX in the size of ZMT (or little bigger) with audio & timecode capabilities. Otherwise, it's waste of money.

On 11/18/2017 at 9:18 AM, VAS said:

Zaxcom must be become with an ERX in the size of ZMT (or little bigger) with audio & timecode capabilities. Otherwise, it's waste of money.

That would be awesome!....  but not a waste of money, they are still the size of an iphone,  they are very welcome by most camera crews who are used to both a timecode box.... + a scratch track receiver...

I've tripled the money on my 6 ERX in rentals and have had zero complaints from any camera crew so far.

They are very multi functioning.

I like that the ERX uses 2 AA batteries and rechargeables lasts all day. The size is the same as the old iPhone/ iPod, so cases were abundant.
Something smaller would be great, but I don’t get size complaints. If I do, it’s people that want nothing on their camera rig.

14 hours ago, resonate said:

how do you deal with audio latency? 19ms is a lot....

I use them for scratch tracks. However, the quality is good enough that they've saved me once or twice. Post didn't seem to have a problem. Nudging something in post is better than having nothing to nudge. I've never been one to not have a decent scratch on camera. Stuff happens.