Jump to content
yophoto91

Update on the upcoming Tentacle Sync-E

Recommended Posts

 

I have 2nd generation Tentacles - and they basically work like the 1st generation, but there are some features on top.
 

You can put one Tentacle in green mode and connect to another Tentacle (red mode) via 3,5 jack connector - so the formerly red flashing device starts to flash green, too. 
 
So after the flashing light has changed color to green, the Tentacle has “learned” TC and frame rate from the tentacle with wich it was connected. 
 
You can also jam the Tentacle boxes from the TC source in the recorder. The frame rate will be jammed, too. 
 
The 2nd generation Tentacles connect to a smartphone, too. They connect through Bluetooth. You can set parameters for the Tentacle boxes on the screen of your phone, if you wish you can set the box to phone time like you could with the first generation - just without a cable.
 
You can supervise the Tentacle boxes with your phone/smart device. Flawless operation and operator errors will be displayed on a screen within the app. When I played (messed) around today I found a warning for FPS (not matching) and cable (connection missing)
 
From my experience with the 1st generation Tentacles, they do not need supervision. The  only thing I got additionally was sleeves that clamped the mini jacks with the boxes. The new Tentacle boxes come with clamps.
 
The new boxes have USB A / USB C charging cables.
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I didn't check,  but one of the videos Matt Price uploaded on youtube deals with that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdNLglzZzSc

 

The new Bluetooth technology goes beyond the 1:1 connection, so different Tentacles are displayed side by side on the screen in the app. Each of them has a Bluetooth connection to the phone / smart device at the same time. I am looking forward to more purposes of this new Bluetooth type!

 

Jule

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28.11.2017 at 11:39 AM, Jule Buerjes said:

The new Bluetooth technology goes beyond the 1:1 connection, so different Tentacles are displayed side by side on the screen in the app. Each of them has a Bluetooth connection to the phone / smart device at the same time. I am looking forward to more purposes of this new Bluetooth type!

 

Jule

 

 

 

... and if one of the Tentacles is out of sync with the others, there‘ll be a warning sign. Just like the above warnings for fps and cable issues. 

 

I also did a quick test to switch between the Wingman app and the Tentacle app and all three devices in thos case (Tentacle, 633 and iphone) stayed paired and reconnected within a second after switching apps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Constantin said:

 

... and if one of the Tentacles is out of sync with the others, there‘ll be a warning sign. Just like the above warnings for fps and cable issues. 

 

I also did a quick test to switch between the Wingman app and the Tentacle app and all three devices in thos case (Tentacle, 633 and iphone) stayed paired and reconnected within a second after switching apps. 

V good, tar. I have wondered how many different device apps ios could handle (is there a limit?). 

Androids?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, daniel said:

V good, tar. I have wondered how many different device apps ios could handle (is there a limit?). 

Androids?

 

That’s a good question. For me personally, I know of only one more Bluetooth app I ever use. That is ForScore (or 4score, not sure). I use the Bluetooth pedal to turn pages (sometimes). I can try that sometime, but I think it’s more likely to cause a conflict between 4score and Wingman rather than Tentacle. 

Android I don’t know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Constantin said:

 

That’s a good question. For me personally, I know of only one more Bluetooth app I ever use. That is ForScore (or 4score, not sure). I use the Bluetooth pedal to turn pages (sometimes). I can try that sometime, but I think it’s more likely to cause a conflict between 4score and Wingman rather than Tentacle. 

Android I don’t know

The A10 system has an app. And the trend will continue. TRXs, Recorders, TC, script, sound report apps, video monitors. Who knows what next - anything now that has its own display and/or interfaces for multiple settings could go this way with the addition of a BT/Wifi chip? Eg. hardwired digital microphone settings.

 

Aside from above we may be using our ios/android devices to do other things as well. I'd like to see a way of using the siri to do live transcription (unless someone puts this function into a recorder - and even if this happened, we'd probably need a bigger screen to read on). But of course there are limits and 1 ios device may not be enough - although this may not be such an issue if we can repurpose our older handsets, it would be interesting to know what the current technologies allow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, all of these are good point, you‘re right. 

The only pointer I have (and this is only from memory) is that TentacleSync said that you could connect up to 10 Sync E‘s to an iPhone.  

 

Anyway, all of this will be limited by the phone and not so much the individual apps. 

The good news is that the Tentacles will work just fine without any Bluetooth device in sight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2.12.2017 at 10:58 AM, Constantin said:

 

... and if one of the Tentacles is out of sync with the others, there‘ll be a warning sign. Just like the above warnings for fps and cable issues. 

 

Yes, you are right, I forgot to mention!

 

The boxes already have names (but can be changed), and the various devices are always shown in alphabetical order on the app's display. That is really helpful, because you can find an entry at first sight.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did a two week job in which I used the new Tentacle E's for the first time.  As a Betso & Denecke user for years, I wanted something that was smaller and that I could periodically check on without having to get my hands on the camera.   We were doing some verite style shooting with an Amira so I'd run a UCR mono-hop mix and TC via the Tentacle E.  The shooter I was working with quickly realized the Amira was too large for the scenario and wanted to make a smaller footprint and decided to use a Sony A7S.   So I ran my second Tentacle into it and it worked perfectly the entire shoot.  

 

The app was perfect for checking each camera's timecode as I assigned a name and color to each one and would check periodically through the day especially before a critical interview.  I would do a half day re-jam for good measure and never had one slip.  

 

In my scenario I didn't find the onboard mic to be of any help.  All you can hear is the camera operator breathing, handling noise, and the delay when synced with my primary audio for the dailies.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Richard Walters said:

The shooter I was working with quickly realized the Amira was too large for the scenario and wanted to make a smaller footprint and decided to use a Sony A7S.   So I ran my second Tentacle into it and it worked perfectly the entire shoot.  

 

Semi-OT: Did you hop a mix to the A7S or just rely on the Tentacle? If so, where did you stick the UCR (or other) receiver?

 

Thanks for the hands-on report!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jim Feeley said:

Semi-OT: Did you hop a mix to the A7S or just rely on the Tentacle? If so, where did you stick the UCR (or other) receiver?

 

Thanks for the hands-on report!

Hi Jim:  No UCR on the A7S, just the Tentacle.  I thought about splitting the connection into the camera with option to add a mix from my bag or a better onboard mic to his camera rig.  But the TC signal to so strong I'm sure it would bleed into the audio track and would need to be padded down.  I chose not to mess around too much with onboard mics and focus on getting good primary audio.   With that said, there is a nice feature on the Tentacle App that allows you to change the TC signal from mic level to line level.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the impression that the level was continuously adjustable. Is that incorrect? Is it just "mic" and "line"?

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×