RFI on Sennheiser 8040/8050?

Noah Timan

I'm curious about how the newish Sennheiser MKH-8040 and MKH-8050 stack up to their older standard issues (MKH-40-50-60-70-416) in terms of being near-invulnerable to RFI noise such as that regularly experienced from video transmitters like Modulous and Canatrans, neon lights, walkies etc.  Can anyone here with experience comment?  Glen, I read a piece about you and using these microphones on the "Hanna Montana" movie -- perhaps you have some insight?  Thanks to all, much appreciated!

I just bought an 8040, and am looking forward to get a job on which I might be able to put it to work.

Not meaning to hijack, but I suspect this might be a good question to have answered for Noah, or anyone looking to get one of these mics.  Scott, can you tell me more about the InVision vs. the Sennheiser mount.  The Cinela is priced out of my league, I'm afraid.

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Noah,

I am a MKH50 guy who has been trying to relax and enjoy the 8050 but find that the low end aspects of it are just too much for the work I am doing right now. A big oversight on Senn's part to not have a low cut either integrated or as a screw on without the -10 included. Otherwise it really is a fantastic sounding mic that does what it should in terms of RF rejection and sound quality. The 50 is a much more user friendly tool for the boom op and I am not finding the small size to really be of any advantage and actually find it to be much more tweaky than a larger mic, much like a camera op seems to have an easier time w/ a larger camera w/ a bigger fulcrum/counter-balance etc. The small size of the 8040/50 seem to be a strike against it as it doesn't have the mass to overcome very slight vibrations. That being said, it sounds great.

Fortunately my 50s seem fairly immune to RF and I understand that the earlier releases had a mod/update which helped overcome things like modulus' etc. The 8050 hasn't replaced them in my world due but I do find it to be a great tool.  As far as RF in my day to day use, the Sanken CS3e seems to be much more vulnerable than either of the MKH's. I put some of the Neutrik EMF connectors on a few months back and haven't really had a serious run in though for a good while with any of my mics. Maybe just lucky.

Hope this helps.

Scott Harber

I'm curious about how the newish Sennheiser MKH-8040 and MKH-8050 stack up to their older standard issues (MKH-40-50-60-70-416) in terms of being near-invulnerable to RFI noise such as that regularly experienced from video transmitters like Modulous and Canatrans, neon lights, walkies etc.  Can anyone here with experience comment?  Glen, I read a piece about you and using these microphones on the "Hanna Montana" movie -- perhaps you have some insight?  Thanks to all, much appreciated!

Duplicated from the same thread on ramps:

Hi Noah,

I haven't done any laboratory analysis on the MKH-8000 series, but in

my experience with the 8040, which includes three features, a doc, and

many commercials in the last year and a half, it has been as immune to

RFI and humidity issues as the other MKH mics. This means I haven't

had any RFI or humidity issues at all with the 8040.

Regarding wind, Matt is correct in that the included small foam tear

drop screen is inadequate, even for gentle panning with a boom pole.

There is a copy of the article here: http://www.trewaudio.com/news/200902/hannah_montana/

that has some photos added of the windscreen and suspension rigs I

used.

Glen Trew