Is a new Sound Devices MixPre-10T coming soon?

IronFilm

45 minutes ago, codyman said:

Seems for the MixPre line they are pushing the Wingman app as a solution to this.

The Wingman app doesn't offer any sort of fader control. It's great for entering notes and metadata, generating sound reports, and seeing levels but that's bout it at the moment. 

I'll bow to @Jim Feeley though and give SD a week or so to bask in this before bugging them for faders :)

-Mike

And there's a 3.5mm input that can be two more inputs, camera return, or timecode input. 

Only one SD card slot and it's on the bottom under the battery caddy... I suspect the USB copy function doesn't record in real time so if your single SD card has an issue are you SOL?

1 hour ago, Derek H said:

And there's a 3.5mm input that can be two more inputs, camera return, or timecode input. 

Only one SD card slot and it's on the bottom under the battery caddy... I suspect the USB copy function doesn't record in real time so if your single SD card has an issue are you SOL?

I'd like to know this too.

2 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

The idea of only one card is scary though.

From the product page:

The MixPre-10T’s auto copy feature is as easy as ABC - or what we like to call “Auto-Background Copying”. With this feature, users can record files up to 192kHz / 24-bit to an SD card, while automatically copying to a USB thumbdrive (USB A) for handoff to a client or as a backup copy.

Not exactly simultaneous multi-card recording, so I assume that means no protection if the primary media (the SD card) fails during a take or before the sound files have finished copying over. But it’s most of the way there.

Personally, the stakes on my shoots aren’t high enough yet, so the auto copy feature is good enough to me – the MixPre-6 having no redundancy at all made me hesitate to even consider it. After waiting for reviews and demoing it, I’d imagine this thing will be on my upgrade list, as a good stepping stone between where I’m at and the 633. Even then, would be handy to keep around as backup and a lightweight setup.

1 hour ago, Maximumbass said:

If you don't have a second recorder running...you might have squat.

I’m still naïve when it comes to redundancy – any recommended second recorder setups for bag work? The only solution I can think of is both recorders being fed by a 302 or similar mixer, which can’t be great, since it’s just another single point of failure.

I can imagine that a cart setup has multitudes more possibilities, but I’m not at that level yet.

8 hours ago, Derek H said:

The MixPre-10T’s auto copy feature is as easy as ABC - or what we like to call “Auto-Background Copying”. With this feature, users can record files up to 192kHz / 24-bit to an SD card, while automatically copying to a USB thumbdrive (USB A) for handoff to a client or as a backup copy.

2 hours ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

Not exactly simultaneous multi-card recording, so I assume that means no protection if the primary media (the SD card) fails during a take or before the sound files have finished copying over. But it’s most of the way there.

Noooooo..........   !!! :-( 
I'd assumed it would be a constant back up of the SD card, with an identical copy there :-/ 

Oh well, I suppose a work around of sorts would be to copy across a copy to the USB drive every hour or so, whenever you get a spare moment during a shoot. Bit of a pain in the ass though. On busy shoots you'd probably find yourself not even doing that, until at the end of the day.

Well, as I read another mixer say (but in reference to the Maxx, which also only has one SD card slot), it is not my recorder that I don't trust, but the person I hand my card to! 

And thus such a USB drive built in, would always solve that problem. 

So basically SD has provided the prosumers with a complete set of options for recording, but are they really a substitute for the 6 series? Not really. Just getting closer and the difference of price doesn't make any sense anymore... I don't know, I'm buying a brand new 633 but I feel I'm paying too much seeing these new devices....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'd assumed it would be a constant back up of the SD card, with an identical copy there :-/ 

Oh well, I suppose a work around of sorts would be to copy across a copy to the USB drive every hour or so, whenever you get a spare moment during a shoot. Bit of a pain in the ass though. On busy shoots you'd probably find yourself not even doing that, until at the end of the day.

the way I understanding it will make back-ups automatically constantly, so no need to remember making them manually.

but it looks like it was a deliberate decision to not write to two cards at the same time to keep a larger gap to the 633/688 series.

1 hour ago, chrismedr said:

the way I understanding it will make back-ups automatically constantly, so no need to remember making them manually.

Oh, I understood it differently that it didn't happen automatically. I read it somewhere on social media when Lectrosonics responded to a question. Ah I wish I could find that exact wording again!

Oh, I understood it differently that it didn't happen automatically. I read it somewhere on social media when Lectrosonics responded to a question. Ah I wish I could find that exact wording again!
Can you maybe find that topic where it was written?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, manuelchk said:

So basically SD has provided the prosumers with a complete set of options for recording, but are they really a substitute for the 6 series? Not really. Just getting closer and the difference of price doesn't make any sense anymore... I don't know, I'm buying a brand new 633 but I feel I'm paying too much seeing these new devices....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your not....  IMO

As far as I'm concerned for most of what I get to record any more 2 media rolling is the minimum (when I was using my 744s more I often rolled on 3 media).  There are many reasons for this, most of them are some form of operator error, esp now that it seems like the card compato thing has settled down (if you use SD branded cards).   Most recent case in point: doc shoot--set up in the subject's office.  Extremely limited time.  Tear thru the questions--then the subject walks out, gets in a limo and is gone.  SD card pulled, handed to person doing data.  The DIT set-up turns out to be in a problematic place re: the next meeting in that room and is in the way of us getting out.  The DIT set-up is moved.  When it is set up again my SD card is missing--must have fallen off the laptop etc.  I found it eventually, but was already getting ready to pull the other card from the recorder so we could move on.  This kind of situation is my #1+ reason for having two media....not media or recorder failure...shit happens to tiny objects (like SD cards).

With reference to the subject of Auto-Background Copying to a USB thumbdrive, just a little clarification...

Auto-copying mirrors the contents of the current project to a USB thumbdrive. When you finish recording a file, it automatically starts copying to the USB thumbdrive even if you start recording or playing another file. This reduces copy lag. At the end of a day's shoot, you'll typically only have to wait for the last recorded file to finish copying.

Paul

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

As far as I'm concerned for most of what I get to record any more 2 media rolling is the minimum (when I was using my 744s more I often rolled on 3 media).  There are many reasons for this, most of them are some form of operator error, esp now that it seems like the card compato thing has settled down (if you use SD branded cards).   Most recent case in point: doc shoot--set up in the subject's office.  Extremely limited time.  Tear thru the questions--then the subject walks out, gets in a limo and is gone.  SD card pulled, handed to person doing data.  The DIT set-up turns out to be in a problematic place re: the next meeting in that room and is in the way of us getting out.  The DIT set-up is moved.  When it is set up again my SD card is missing--must have fallen off the laptop etc.  I found it eventually, but was already getting ready to pull the other card from the recorder so we could move on.  This kind of situation is my #1+ reason for having two media....not media or recorder failure...shit happens to tiny objects (like SD cards).

+1000 to this!

And Paul, thanks for clarifying on the copy scheme. That was what I was hoping to hear. 

-Mine

2 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

As far as I'm concerned for most of what I get to record any more 2 media rolling is the minimum (when I was using my 744s more I often rolled on 3 media).  There are many reasons for this, most of them are some form of operator error,

Agreed.

With the social media from SD stating "between 633 and MixPre-6" it puts this mixer/recorder/interface really for bag work.

I don't think the people buying this are going to setup a cart and it becomes an interface for a computer-based recording rig running Boomcorder or Metacorder with a middleware software mixer that most interfaces offer for musicians such as MOTU or Focusrite, and use a MIDI or USB 100m linear fader 8-fader console to make a mix. Can they? Sure but it seems like a patchwork way of doing it a decade after Boomcorder was a cheap option of multitrack audio in the field.

The location of the _ONLY_ media card is underneath the recorder (when in a bag) . I suffer through this on a 552 unit that I sometimes use. I curse the designers EVERYTIME I insert or remove the SD media for it's location and having to unplug cables...SD will surely come out with a mixer control surface with faders for this internal digital mixer that is USB. 

The SD website doesn't have the User Guide up yet until the unit is released but how it is categorized on their website says a lot. It is under the RECORDERS section, not under the Mixers with integrated recorders. At a cost of $1799. MSRP

with only an SDHC/SDXC card as sole media the option of Auto-Background Copying to a USB thumb drive is better than nothing but it sounds like a 2nd recorder would be better if you are at a sound cart. 
"change metadata/track names etc. after a file has been copied?"

This would be an issue if the SD card failed or became corrupted.

Since SD categorized this as a recorder what other options are out there?

older bulkier units but with the same or better specs such as AES digital inputs/XLR-4-pin POWER INPUT which would be good as a backup 8 track recorder.

Tascam HS-P82 8-Channel Field Audio Recorder $1999.
Roland R-88 8-Channel Recorder and Mixer $1995.

and extremely low cost portable multitrack recorders like
Tascam DR-680MKII 8-Track Field Recorder  $749.
Zoom F8 Multi-Track Field Recorder  $999.

While I love SD user interfaces, I also really want a feature like Zaxcom's Neverclip.

You really need 2 media rolling these days. The high end guys all use 2 separate recorders. The market the product is after are not high-end guys, thus needing 2 CF or SD media cards in the same recorder at least.

There are many price points and products from SD now and they are coming under heavy competition from companies like Zoom and I wouldn't be surprised if Behringer entered the portable multitrack audio market with an announcement at AES this month.

2 media choices to run at the same time and two decks are different as we all know...

I personally stopped years ago recording multiple decks.... In my years at this job,  a few...I have been lucky enough never to have a problem that required another backup deck... ever...  I trust my gear to do the job... I also know a few other mixers, recording on some pretty big gigs that also do not use two decks...  Like a camera... If I have an issue, I'll swap it out... simple enough...   The two cards I feel good about on the SD gear...  633/688   These decks have been rock solid for me... I don't see that changing...

3 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

Hi Paul, thanks for clarifying. One question: What happens when I change metadata/track names etc. after a file has been copied? Will it update the info automatically?

Yes. You can edit metadata after the fact on any earlier file and the USB thumbdrive will be updated automatically