Is a new Sound Devices MixPre-10T coming soon?

IronFilm

3 hours ago, PCMsoundie said:

ince SD categorized this as a recorder what other options are out there?

older bulkier units but with the same or better specs such as AES digital inputs/XLR-4-pin POWER INPUT which would be good as a backup 8 track recorder.

Tascam HS-P82 8-Channel Field Audio Recorder $1999.
Roland R-88 8-Channel Recorder and Mixer $1995.

and extremely low cost portable multitrack recorders like
Tascam DR-680MKII 8-Track Field Recorder  $749.
Zoom F8 Multi-Track Field Recorder  $999.

Don't forget the Zoom F4! Only $549

And I'm frequently running 6 channels into that all at once. (Plus a stereo mix down, so is an 8 track recorder in total)

3 hours ago, PCMsoundie said:

There are many price points and products from SD now and they are coming under heavy competition from companies like Zoom and I wouldn't be surprised if Behringer entered the portable multitrack audio market with an announcement at AES this month.

I'd welcome that! I'm seriously considering the Behringer XR18 already.

6 series had different mic pres, more complex routing options depending on the model, dual card record, higher end build quality, mix assist, 688 has EQ, interface with CL-12, cl6, sl6

There are lots of things. You could call or visit your local dealer to get a fuller side by side.  

The 6-series mixer/recorders also include AES digital I/O, AES42 digital microphone input support, more outputs, dual headphone jacks, separate trim and fader knobs, and configurable output delays (on the digital mixers).

And while there isn't a single comparison chart that includes both the MixPre-10T and the 6-series units, you could open the comparison pages for the MIxPre and 6-series and put them side by side, to get a sense of the differences:

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-10t/feature-comparison

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/mixers-with-integrated-recorders/688/feature-comparison

5 hours ago, saadasound said:

Hate to veer off this a little, but can someone tell me the differences in the mixpre10t and the 6 series? I get the streaming capabilities and what not, but outside of that, what's the difference?

AES ips and ops, XLR ops, AUX ops, Dugan AutoMix, Sd MixAssist. I think it's been said already: 1 is a recorder the other a mixer recorder. I could probably do half my work on MP10, but the other half i still need something like 633.

Word clock it has over my 633. Does this mean several MP10s can run well together as a 20 track (or more) set up?

17 hours ago, davedv said:

The 6-series mixer/recorders also include AES digital I/O, AES42 digital microphone input support, more outputs, dual headphone jacks, separate trim and fader knobs, and configurable output delays (on the digital mixers).

And while there isn't a single comparison chart that includes both the MixPre-10T and the 6-series units, you could open the comparison pages for the MIxPre and 6-series and put them side by side, to get a sense of the differences:

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-10t/feature-comparison

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/mixers-with-integrated-recorders/688/feature-comparison

Matt Price just published a blog post showing both side by side, which could be handy for some who might be making a decision between the two:

http://soundrolling.com/gear-tutorials-walkthroughs/gear-vs-gear/sound-devices-mixpre-10t-vs-sound-devices-633/

2 hours ago, Paul Isaacs said:

Sorry, no. They do not have the required internal hardware to do this.

what about sending the same HDMI TC to several units?

from the description of the MP-3/6 itseems that would result in sample accurate sync?

(not that I'm planning to do this, but it's an interesting idea)

chris

3 hours ago, chrismedr said:

what about sending the same HDMI TC to several units?

from the description of the MP-3/6 itseems that would result in sample accurate sync?

(not that I'm planning to do this, but it's an interesting idea)

chris

Sure, but seems like a lot of hassle for getting more tracks when a single MP-10T will do it in one.

Hi @Paul Isaacs, any word on battery life with the 8 AAs when phantom powering say 2 or 4 mics?  Perhaps it was posted somewhere already, but I didn't see it.  Also, any chance Sound Devices may be working on a single Sony NP-L battery sled option?  The current dual battery solution seems optimal for extended battery life, but makes the shape a bit awkward in a bag with the batteries jutting out from the top and bottom.  I know HawkWoods just put out their version, curious if you guys will?  Thanks, Mark

2 hours ago, FrankH said:

Is the battery sled the same size as the 3/6, it looks like it is on the photos.

It is the same interface, but the MX4-AA (4 AA sled) is intended for use with the MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 only. The MX-8AA and MX-LMount will work on the MixPre-3, -6, and -10T.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:54 PM, Mobilemike said:

The Wingman app doesn't offer any sort of fader control. It's great for entering notes and metadata, generating sound reports, and seeing levels but that's bout it at the moment. 

(...)

-Mike

AFAIK no sound reports from Wingman for MixPre recorders; this feature is enabled on Wingman for 6xx recorders only.

Concerning metadata enter/edit: I see that on Wingman for MixPres there is no NOTES field on the main screen, just SCENE and TAKE.

I'd like to have confirmation on this point please

2 hours ago, Fernando said:

AFAIK no sound reports from Wingman for MixPre recorders; this feature is enabled on Wingman for 6xx recorders only.

Concerning metadata enter/edit: I see that on Wingman for MixPres there is no NOTES field on the main screen, just SCENE and TAKE.

There is a notes field for MixPre.

4 hours ago, Fernando said:

1 hour ago, Paul Isaacs said:

There is a notes field for MixPre.

Yes, notes field for MixPre shows up for me the same as for my 633. 

However the @Fernando is right that the "Reports" section of the Wingman app is greyed-out and unavailable when connected to my MixPre-3. Is there a reason that sound reports are not available on the MixPres?

-Mike

IMG_1473.PNG

Thank you Mobilemike, I assumed the NOTES field was present on a file's metadata edit view,

what I said is that it was missing on the main screen, above the meters (when used on a tablet of course, on phones main screen does not show current/next file SCENE/TAKE/NOTES)

I only found one video showing Wingman in action with a MixPre, it was from SoundDevices and on the main screen the NOTES field is missing.

On this video, when it links to the MixPre, the NOTES field disappears,

and also SCENE/TAKE changes to NAME/NUMBER.

If this is still true, I beg SD to make possible to switch between SCENE/TAKE/NOTES and NAME/NUMBER   _.II._