Is a new Sound Devices MixPre-10T coming soon?

IronFilm

On 5.10.2017 at 12:46 PM, daniel said:

Word clock it has over my 633. Does this mean several MP10s can run well together as a 20 track (or more) set up?

If it does mean that then Bouke from videotoolshed has just written the software for this, with which you can merge the recordings from each individual recorder into one large polywav. And it'll create the sound report on the fly, too. 

https://www.videotoolshed.com/product/bwfmerge/

On 05/10/2017 at 12:36 AM, saadasound said:

Hate to veer off this a little, but can someone tell me the differences in the mixpre10t and the 6 series? I get the streaming capabilities and what not, but outside of that, what's the difference?

Here : https://www.gothamsound.com/sound-devices-mixpre-10t6-series-comparison-chart?utm_source=Gotham+Gazette&utm_campaign=fb46541d65-Inspired+Energy%2FF4%2FAmbient+Sales%2FKits%2FRebates&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8cbb4c598a-fb46541d65-204839977

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Frido Beck said:

Bullshit product line. I need a 633 v2 with more digital inputs (and not on analogue phantom mic inputs), input to track routing, only digital panning. 

Oh please.  Here's this amazing piece of technology that basically costs the same as one iPhone these days yet everyone thinks they are entitled to something even more amazing as though they are owed something.

Ten years ago, do you know what you would have got for the same amount of money?  Two tracks of this ($399 4GB CF card not included)

fr_2-top-main.jpg

12 minutes ago, Frido Beck said:

Right. My point being that I suggest that maybe investing the funds that I paid for a 633 etc. are going to be invested in good use to better the products they make. Its their choice that they make this line, but probably for me its time to move on to another manufacturer (which I pity because in the basis I really like the 6-series). It just do you want to strive for high end or low end..

Not really understanding why a product that perhaps you personally don’t need is “bullshit”. That like me saying jackhammers are “bullshit” because I don’t need to build roads. I am looking forward to my Mixpre-10t. It addresses the issues I had with the MP6, and should be perfect for lots of people.

3 hours ago, Frido Beck said:

Well that I understand, that for some the product is what they want. Just the undercutting is what I don't like, A race to the bottom.  I know that Sound Devices an Zaxcom were the undercutters about 15 years ago to Nagra etc, but I just want better products thats all. Sorry if I offended anyone. Probabaly going The Zax route since I have their wireless.

I'm sure the retailers will gladly accept more of your money if you want to over pay for their products.  You know, so you can feel better about yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Sorry. Who's Curtis Judd?

He is a corporate video shooter. 

I reckon if you exclude retail stores (such as Gotham Sound's YouTube Channel), brands (such as say Rycote & many others), & Matt Price (who just puts out a phenomenal amount of content on YT!), then he has the best YouTube channel dealing with sound from the perspective of a non-sound professional (although he does occasional work as a sound mixer on other people's production shoots, but this seems to be a rather rare thing, and mostly he is an in house corporate shooter as a one man band production).

So his target audience he aims the level of his content at is totally different to the average jwsoundgroup reader, as is his perspective, but even so Curtis Judd is a worthwhile person to follow on YouTube and to watch his relevant videos whenever you have a bit of time. 

• 1 month later...

Pretty amazing machine, I got myself a unit from the dealer for testing:

my first impression is that I see a cost effective machine and an impressive feature set, easy to operate; but 3 major drawbacks:

- the hirose power plug: This is a ridiculous design. maybe some third party manufacturer (Hawkwoods??) will come up with a workaround in the future? To install this recorder in a bag, you have to add like minimum 2,5 cm / 1 inch of safety space on the bottom of the bag to protect the Hirose plug of your power cable from breaking. Even a right angle plug will not improve the situation!  This will make the recorder poke out from the top of most small bags. The MixPrev 10 is slim, but rather high. Added the 2,5 cm of height, it reaches the dimensions of the SD688 and needs a huge bag.

- solo monitoring is too complicated: A short press on a channel fader opens a channel setup screen, but does not lead to a HP solo monitoring of this channel. Instead after having triggered the channel setup screen you then have to find and tap on a „solo“ surface on the tiny touch screen and tap on it again when your desire for soloing is expired. please do that in the rain or with gloves on or when using a 4 m boom with a shotgun mike on the other end, having to monitor 6 wired folks… how will you find out which of  the lavs is rustling? In normal life I am stepping through the potential candidates by soloing each of them.

- Input gain adjustment: I was also expecting that on pressing a fader for solo mode, the same fader now could be used to adjust the input gain on that channel in solo mode. Now I’ve learned, that those faders are behaving like analog pots with a stop on either side (which is great for mixing) and I understand that they cannot be used to also set the input gain because of their actual absolute value (their position for input gain will differ from the position for the channel gain). The input gain can be adjusted only on the touchscreen (tiny arrows, one clumsy tap for a 1 dB increment) or with the HP volume encoder, which is a small hardware knob on the right side of the machine, squeezed in alongside the headphone plug, prevented from finger-access by the strap of most bags.  So no one-hand solos on the fly doing doc/ENG work and no gain adjustments either.

To be fair, I’ve been impressed by the simplicity of the system arquitecture, by the number of full size XLR Inputs and last but not least by the sound. It does not sound cheap, also the limiters seem to be pretty usable. They can be turned on or off only globally, not per track.
The fader knobs are small, but really useable, easy to find the right one blind.
The touchscreen (I don’t like them in general) behaves responsive and is well thought, anything else but the gain increments is rather easily operated with the finger tips.
Metadata handling with the touchscreen/HP volume knob is a bit clumsy, but with a cellphone/wingman combo it is OK for documentary needs. If you have an iPad at hand it gets really comfortable and comprehensive, so no hard feelings using this machine on a cart! I found the Wingman app 100% responsive, far better than the old CL-Wifi I knew from my 788T-days.

Routing: You can route any input to any of the outputs pre or post fader, which is nice. I did not find a way to cross route the inputs to tracks, so input 1 stays on track 1, and so on. I appreciate this approach for its simplicity.

Power: The MixPre 10 needed  around 7,5 - 8 W in a decent setup with 2 phantom powered mics active. As a comparison: in the same setup my old Sonosax SX-R4 sips only 3 W. I fed both from a 14,4 V audioroot battery,  each of them with 2 Phantom mics plugged.  Apart of the Hirose plug there is an AA adapter, which accepts 8 AA batts. For 8 Watts, 8 Lithium AAs should carry you over 4 hours, 8 black eneloops should do for  3 hs. You also could use L-type batteries, the bigger ones might be good also as a distance keeper for the Hirose plug.

Interesting what you say about the monitoring options. 1 of the reasons I stayed away from Zoom. I did not think any SD product would have a problem with this as they are already so experienced in making recorders, mixers etc. Things aren't so much fun if you can't isolate/select what you're hearing, when you need to.

Pretty amazing machine, I got myself a unit from the dealer for testing:

my first impression is that I see a cost effective machine and an impressive feature set, easy to operate; but 3 major drawbacks:

- the hirose power plug: This is a ridiculous design. maybe some third party manufacturer (Hawkwoods??) will come up with a workaround in the future? To install this recorder in a bag, you have to add like minimum 2,5 cm / 1 inch of safety space on the bottom of the bag to protect the Hirose plug of your power cable from breaking. Even a right angle plug will not improve the situation!  This will make the recorder poke out from the top of most small bags. The MixPrev 10 is slim, but rather high. Added the 2,5 cm of height, it reaches the dimensions of the SD688 and needs a huge bag.
- solo monitoring is too complicated: A short press on a channel fader opens a channel setup screen, but does not lead to a HP solo monitoring of this channel. Instead after having triggered the channel setup screen you then have to find and tap on a „solo“ surface on the tiny touch screen and tap on it again when your desire for soloing is expired. please do that in the rain or with gloves on or when using a 4 m boom with a shotgun mike on the other end, having to monitor 6 wired folks… how will you find out which of  the lavs is rustling? In normal life I am stepping through the potential candidates by soloing each of them.
- Input gain adjustment: I was also expecting that on pressing a fader for solo mode, the same fader now could be used to adjust the input gain on that channel in solo mode. Now I’ve learned, that those faders are behaving like analog pots with a stop on either side (which is great for mixing) and I understand that they cannot be used to also set the input gain because of their actual absolute value (their position for input gain will differ from the position for the channel gain). The input gain can be adjusted only on the touchscreen (tiny arrows, one clumsy tap for a 1 dB increment) or with the HP volume encoder, which is a small hardware knob on the right side of the machine, squeezed in alongside the headphone plug, prevented from finger-access by the strap of most bags.  So no one-hand solos on the fly doing doc/ENG work and no gain adjustments either.

To be fair, I’ve been impressed by the simplicity of the system arquitecture, by the number of full size XLR Inputs and last but not least by the sound. It does not sound cheap, also the limiters seem to be pretty usable. They can be turned on or off only globally, not per track.
The fader knobs are small, but really useable, easy to find the right one blind.
The touchscreen (I don’t like them in general) behaves responsive and is well thought, anything else but the gain increments is rather easily operated with the finger tips.
Metadata handling with the touchscreen/HP volume knob is a bit clumsy, but with a cellphone/wingman combo it is OK for documentary needs. If you have an iPad at hand it gets really comfortable and comprehensive, so no hard feelings using this machine on a cart! I found the Wingman app 100% responsive, far better than the old CL-Wifi I knew from my 788T-days.
Routing: You can route any input to any of the outputs pre or post fader, which is nice. I did not find a way to cross route the inputs to tracks, so input 1 stays on track 1, and so on. I appreciate this approach for its simplicity.

Power: The MixPre 10 needed  around 7,5 - 8 W in a decent setup with 2 phantom powered mics active. As a comparison: in the same setup my old Sonosax SX-R4 sips only 3 W. I fed both from a 14,4 V audioroot battery,  each of them with 2 Phantom mics plugged.  Apart of the Hirose plug there is an AA adapter, which accepts 8 AA batts. For 8 Watts, 8 Lithium AAs should carry you over 4 hours, 8 black eneloops should do for  3 hs. You also could use L-type batteries, the bigger ones might be good also as a distance keeper for the Hirose plug.

Nice review.
What about those two shortcut buttons that they made?
Can they be used to aproach faster to monitoring options of single channel?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, DeJuan said:

What about those two shortcut buttons that they made?

There is a choice of 7 options you can dedicate the 2 shortcut buttons to. There is indeed an option where you can unite the icons of all 10 channels on the touchscreen along with a "solo" and a "mute" button. Tap on one channel icon and tap on "solo" to solo it. To go to the next solo you have to unselect "solo" for the first one, then tap on another channel and hit "solo" again. It needs the same amount of tapping/pressing like using the fader knobs to activate the channel setup screen whith its solo icon, only that the icons on the "solo" shortcut screen are smaller. 

solo_mute_screen.jpg 

• maybe I also should mention that on the MixPre10 you can gang up to four inputs with one fader.  Might be useful for ambisonics recording.
  • and the TC section is 100% professional grade. There are just a "BNC in" and a "BNC out" plug instead of the usual Lemo5.

Excellent review and to the point.

I do not understand why creating a lower series is creating issues to the more expensive pro series's.

Mixpre is between amateur/prosumer/semi pro/pro territory, going from amateur to pro incrementally by each one number (from 3 to 10T), as I don't believe many amateurs will buy the 10T, or many pro will buy the 3 version.

The whole series is a huge success, and that will lead to better equipment overal, from entry level to the high end.

10T seems like an excellent option for low cost/many channels, plus timecode capabilities, but I am sure we most expect a more modern approach for the 6xx series.

On 12/15/2017 at 4:24 AM, daniel said:

Interesting what you say about the monitoring options. 1 of the reasons I stayed away from Zoom. I did not think any SD product would have a problem with this as they are already so experienced in making recorders, mixers etc. Things aren't so much fun if you can't isolate/select what you're hearing, when you need to.

Sounds like the exact opposite, that it is easier to solo with a Zoom F4/F8 than with a MixPre10T