Jump to content
afewmoreyears

NEW SMWB and SMDWB Lectrosonic units Announced..

Recommended Posts

Can we form a picket outside Zaxcom's office to protest this silly patent? It is holding so many companies back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may have missed it, but we had PLENTY of discussion of that patent in the past. I'd rather not get back into that again. Lectro, Zax, their lawyers, and the courts don't need our comments. And I don't either. Just my take...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Derek H said:

It does one or the other not both at the same time. 

Does this mean there is potential for expanding this functionality in other territories? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish simply for a nice transmitting unit only..... at a better price point....  Or, a functioning recorder option for the price offered, with 48k and time code... 

 

The unit as it stands I hope we are not paying for the extra recording option that I will most likely never use...  If the recording option costs no more, than so be it... 

 

I am just happy these  SMWB have arrived... Thanks you Lectrosonics...!

I am replacing all my wireless and did not want to pull the trigger on the LTs... They were a bit too big and square for us...

I did pull the  trigger this morning on these...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine the 'either/or' situation is a firmware upgrade away from being 'either/both'.  As to what might result in that particular firmware update, yahweh only knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Derek H said:

Zaxcom has a patent on recording wireless. This explains the limited record functionality on this new SM

 

I think to be strictly accurate... Zaxcom has a patent on a 'virtual multitrack' system, but I dont want to hijack this thread......

 

sb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, daniel said:

Does this mean there is potential for expanding this functionality in other territories? 

 

No. The patent applies to all products sold in the US and to US products sold anywhere. That's how Gordon explained it in the other thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, daniel said:

I imagine the 'either/or' situation is a firmware upgrade away from being 'either/both'.  As to what might result in that particular firmware update, yahweh only knows.


True, I have my fingers crossed this Zaxcom patent won't be upheld in the courts and we'll see a firmware update soon (although sadly I kinda doubt it will get 48KHz, as that is a hardware issue it has been mentioned?! Not sure). 

 

And at the very least, all ones sold outside the USA won't have any such limitation?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I of course would never claim to be a lawyer, IP law is an area I've been deeply involved in over the years, even leading a minor political party here in NZ which has been advocating for IP law reform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to a future firmware update that would allow the unit to transmit and record at the same time, I have been told that this would not be physically possible and due to the patent wont happen. Even in other territories such as the EU this is the same case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

 

And at the very least, all ones sold outside the USA won't have any such limitation?! 

 

10 hours ago, Constantin said:

 

No. The patent applies to all products sold in the US and to US products sold anywhere. That's how Gordon explained it in the other thread

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NathanWBS said:

In regards to a future firmware update that would allow the unit to transmit and record at the same time, I have been told that this would not be physically possible and due to the patent wont happen. Even in other territories such as the EU this is the same case.

Well I'm sure lectro know what they are doing. As it stands I think the 'either/or' is quite a good move. The p48 option on a recording belt pack like the A10 is about as good as it gets right now though imho. Arguably the thing missing on that 1 is the ability for a boom op to monitor directly from the TX, ironically the only 1 I know which does this is the humbly priced rode newsshooter (which is a plug-on).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×