The PSC SOLICE is officially delivering now

They're finally here.  We just got our first PSC Solice Mixing panel in stock an hour ago.  Check it out at a dealer near you.  It was worth the wait and is certainly a worthy replacement for the fine Cooper line.  A Solice panel is on the sales floor now.  Let us know if you want a demo here or on your set.

John Coffey

Sound Devices are all left to right

The Sound Devices 442 is both up and to the right, in a slight arc.

If anyone knows of a meter that goes up and to the right in a straight diagonal, we'll have all the options covered.

I use my Deva in the left to right horizontal mode because it allows the meter labels to be seen, and because it makes the best use of the screen's real-estate for me. But some people see it differently.

Glen Trew

I second the motion for left to right to see the track names and it looks better on the screen.

I was always pleased that the Deva provided for different screens, very easily with a touch of a button, but I could never get used to anything other than horizontal meters. I agree completely with Crew with the desire to have the meters look like they do on almost every console, large and small, that we have ever seen or used --- vertical (UP is louder, etc., etc.). This makes total sense, particularly with graphic slide faders positioned below and so forth. I just could not do it --- meter bars look funny, track names are hard to read, etc.

-  Jeff Wexler

The Deva, SD, Boom Recorder and Metacorder all use horizontal metering.  Perhaps that's the reasoning behind the horizontal metering on the output meters.

And SD recorders.  All the other PSC panel mixers have had horizontal meters.  (6F, M8, M6).  My M6 meters go left to right.  Are you saying that the Solice meters go right to left?

Philip Perkins

The pictures of the Solice make them look like they go L 2 R.

I know why I like my meters vertical. I learned non linear disk based recording on ProTools. Also they match my faders on my panel. As I have been shooting this ice cream commercial today, I have switched between meter settings on the Deva. I'm sure I could get used to horizontal. In vertical mode the left half of the screen is all the info....  the right side is the 4 vertical meters. This set up shows the mirroring function as well. In horizontal mode the only way to see this is with the short meters, not the big long horizontal. I enjoy seeing this function for many reasons and peace of mind. I am glad for the choice.

CrewC

In my opinion, it's something that I think you will see as a total non issue after you see it once.  It's very easy to see and definitely more like the Sound Devices look, with meters going from green to amber to red, in a left to right direction.  Most production mixers will just use it as a reference and continue to meter off their recorders anyway. 

Question for Ron regarding the routing with the Solice:

I completely understand the toggle switches that allow for routing pre or post fader for outputs 3 through 8 ... I am a little confused about for outputs 1 and 2. I realize that to have an active pan pot is vital for STEREO recording/positioning, and I did see how that works (simply pan a given input, variable from full left to full right), but for everything else I don't know what the compromise may be by dedicating 1 - 2 to the pan pot.

For example, I have Input 1 going post fader out to Output 1 --- Output 1 will feed my Track 1 on recorder and will be the mix track. Most everything I plug into the Solice will at the very least be sent post fader to Output 1. Now, if I want that same Input 1 to go PRE-fader to Output 2 as well, how is that done? Is that possible?

For the way I work, and many others as well, you have provided more than enough flexibility in routing, but some of it gets a little confusing with respect to 1 -2.

If I were to use the Solice and replicate my general way of working, I would only utilize ONE mix bus (M1 output) to Track 1 on the recorder, and everything else would be sent ISO pre-fader via either the TRS jacks or the DB-25 connector --- I would not even use any of the other busses 2 through 8 (but pleased that they are there for our use!).

-  Jeff Wexler

• 2 weeks later...

I really wanted a new toy, but went with the MKH8040 at 10% of cost.

Maybe if I get a REAL job or two before the end of the year, it'll be my Christmas present!!

If the "Crank: High Voltage" trailer is any indication, they opted against the Chev Chelios BALL-OF-FIRE-vfx planned for the ending.  Mind you, he did recover from a helicopter fall several thousand feet above Los Angeles at the end of "Crank", so anything's possible.  So all I have to say is...  "CRANK 3"!!!!

Robert