Freeheel

Compare Sony PCM D100 Sonics to MKH 50/30 Midside into a SD 744t

Hi All,

I love the detailed clarity and incredibly low noise floor of a pair of Sennheisers feeding a 744t, especially for quiet nature ambiences and ocean sounds.  Sometimes the rig can be a little bulky though.

I've looked over a bunch of older threads on small, 2 channel, all in one recorders and most of them dated to when the PCM D100 was still very new, so it would be nice to get some updated opinions.

How does the Sony PCM D100 hold up to the level of sonic quality of a Schoeps or Sennheiser stereo rig going into a nice recorder like a SD 744t?    90%?  80%?

And where does the Sony break down?  Noise floor, mic quality?  

Curious to know whether I should just keep hauling the big rig around, or whether I can save my back and some baggage costs by picking up a D100?

(or a Nagra SD with stereo mic- feel free to include that in the discussion...)

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

with the price of a used sony, why not just buy one, do a side by side for your typical scenarios, and if it doesn't hold up to your standards sell it again. total cost about 0. bonus point if you post back here wih audio samples ;-)

chris

From what I've read, the Sony's internal mics are decent, same with previous models. But if your planning to use pro condenser mics, the D100 does not have balanced XLR inputs... or Phantom Power.

Why not get one of SD's Mix Pre-3/6's? Very lightweight. It can use the same L series batteries your 744 does or Hawkwoods just came out with the SD-1 which provides a hirose power input for standard NP-1/BDS setup. 

Thanks for the input!  I was also PM'd a nice comprehensive review that I somehow missed.  http://www.creativefieldrecording.com/2017/01/18/sony-pcm-d100-review-one-year-later/

I'm not too concerned about the lack of XLR's, more interested to know how well it works in it's native state using it's onboard mics -   If I'm using an outboard mic array, the 744 is plenty small enough to keep using, although those tiny mixpres are very attractive as well.  

The review reference above has answered all my questions pretty well, but if anyone has one of these rigs, feel free to add your experiences!

Cheers,

Brent Calkin