Problem with Lectrosonic HMA

dblocation

Hello everyone,

I've ben using my lectro HMA plug-on TX (band A1) for about a year now; for cart based scripted stuff and one man band bag work as well.  I've been loving it up until recently when I started getting all manner of motor boating, crackles, and ticking.  I've sent the unit in for service with lectro and Trew Audio has generously set me up with a loaner in the the same band in the meantime.  Unfortunately, I'm still having some of the same problems; specifically the motor boating.  I tested it out this morning and it seems when I move the TX back and forth (using just a little more force than it would get being swung around on the end of a long pole) I can get some heinous crackling (like intermittent connection sounds).  I do have the little washer ring intact on both units.  I am using a Sanken CS-3e in a cinela blimp, and I attach the Tx directly below the blimp.  I have also had similar but less intense issues using my MKH-50 as well.  I have tried switching receivers/blocks as well.  I am also using a PSC RF multi (serial number starting with 15).  

Has anyone else had trouble with this?  Am I asking too much of the unit?  

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thanks for the time and space to tap into such a vast network of expertise!

I have been using the older one without issue for years.  Just recently I had experience the motor boating  issue.  This was towards the end of the shoot day.  I replaced batteries and switched from my CMIT 5u to a CMC6MK41 and solved the issue.  I have to test it this weekend to find out if its an issue with the plug on or if its and issue with the CMIT 5u

Other experiences with the motor boating would be welcomed

What are you using for batteries in the transmitter?  Maybe your rechargeable NiMh batteries are getting a little old?  Next time it happens throw in some Everready lithiums.  I've heard motor boating when the mic wasn't getting enough power.  Aso make sure your mic XLR pins are clean, for the same reason.  This may be a superstitious suggestion, but you've replaced pretty much everything else in the chain..  Also try replacing the cable between the mic and the transmitter...you may have a break in its shielding, or have one bad leg in the balanced pair.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin