Prototype BEC bracket for F55 Documentary Dock

Jamesg

The awesome Mike Babcock at BEC turned my crappy drawing into an excellent bracket for attaching a receiver (RX200 in my case, but whatever fits into a BEC box) onto the Sony F55 with documentary dock. Just tested out the prototype today and it works really well - allows all the BNC's for SDI outputs to connect and pass under the box. Obviously the finished product will be "BEC black" but thought I'd put this up here in case anyone's looking for something like this...

20171016_143005.jpg

20171016_143023.jpg

20171016_142938.jpg

20171016_143016.jpg

This looks great. Curious though, why not use the standard BEC side plate? The camera in this photo already has the necessary bracket installed under the battery plate. 

Mike Babcock at BEC is great. He made a custom QRX holder for me some years ago. 

What I would like to see from BEC group is some kind of universal plate that screws into 1/4-20 threads and allows you to mount any of their boxes. An abundance of 1/4-20 threads are common on most cameras. Cameras don’t seem to have the BEC side plate bracket installed these days and it would be useful to have something that could just screw down into the cheese plates that camera guys just love buying. While it’s easy to install the side plate bracket it’s not something you can really do in the field. 

Ah, yeah I can see why that would be confusing... The side plate bracket is part of the battery adapter (V-Lock to Anton Bauer I think) and won't be used on the actual camera configuration for the job I'm doing (I just went in to VER and grabbed a camera to test the prototype bracket).  The F55 Dock doesn't have the two screw holes on the very back of the camera (behind the slot-in receiver plate) to secure the adapter plate like you would on a F800 or similar, so even if we did use that adapter it wouldn't be secure enough to take the weight of the RX200. I could probably have bodged something but the job I'm prepping for is a three month shoot all over the world so it's worth a bit of expense to make a really solid rig!

Totally agree on the universal mount idea. I was vaguely talking to Mike about making a bracket that consists of a horizontal piece with two screws in a slot (like a tripod plate) to accommodate different spacings of holes, which would would be joined to a sliding vertical piece which could be moved closer or further from the camera, which would have the standard 4 BEC mounting holes. Kinda hard to describe, but could be a simple solution to ever changing camera rigs...?

8 hours ago, Derek H said:

This looks great. Curious though, why not use the standard BEC side plate? The camera in this photo already has the necessary bracket installed under the battery plate. 

Mike Babcock at BEC is great. He made a custom QRX holder for me some years ago. 

What I would like to see from BEC group is some kind of universal plate that screws into 1/4-20 threads and allows you to mount any of their boxes. An abundance of 1/4-20 threads are common on most cameras. Cameras don’t seem to have the BEC side plate bracket installed these days and it would be useful to have something that could just screw down into the cheese plates that camera guys just love buying. While it’s easy to install the side plate bracket it’s not something you can really do in the field. 

They already make a plate that does that, it's The BEC Group Under Camera Mount #1. 

https://www.adorama.com/becbotplt1.html

I've also had some custom work done by Mr. Babcock. Always excellent results.