Sign in to follow this  
Matt Brodnick

macOS High Sierra: AFS File Format

macOS 10.13 High Sierra changes the master file format to AFS/APFS. 

When that's installed, will the OS still recognize exFAT, HFS+, and other formatted external drives?

Matt,

I upgraded my main Mac, and have not actually noticed any difference. I still back up files from my 633 and 664 SD/CF cards to the same external HD that I have been using for that purpose for 2-3 years (and no, I have not reformatted that drive since upgrading the OS).

yes, you can switch your OS drive to the new format and still use external harddisks the old way.

that said, personally I would wait at least a few months before doing so, specially on production equipment. there is very little to gain and a lot to loose.

if you're interested in the details of the current state of things read the blog on bombich.com, I trust the developer of one of the best backup applications knows a thing or two about harddisk formats.

Thanks for your responses, everyone. I'll hold off on updating until fully backing up. 

Here's something interesting:

For those who are upgrading on computers that did not originally include El Capitan (10.11) and above, should backup everything beforehand, and be prepared for an (unlikely) fresh wipe and installation.   

Because the boot drive's file format changes during the update to 10.13, if there is an issue, you cannot detect the boot anymore in Internet Recovery mode because the older OS recoveries are based on HFS format. You'll need to clean install the base OS (HFS) that was included with your Mac, while in Internet Recovery Mode, then reapply 10.13 High Sierra update afterwards.