Ambient/Denecke timecode disparity

M Sisco

Seconding Ed and Coleman, it sounds like something may be off in your settings?

Also, about how long does it take for the drift to become noticeable? Was either device accidentally powered off for any period of time?

And, yeah, if it's a rental switch it out, and if the issue persists then at least you've isolated the issue to your 744T.

How much drift over how long?

I could be wrong, but If I recall correctly, the original TS-2 slates didn't have 23.976, and was available later as an upgrade, which became standard on all TS-2s. Standby for a correction if I'm wrong.  Anyway, if you can see the drift after 20 minutes, then it's probably not a calibration issue, but a setting issue.

2 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

I could be wrong, but If I recall correctly, the original TS-2 slates didn't have 23.976, and was available later as an upgrade, which became standard on all TS-2s. Standby for a correction if I'm wrong.  Anyway, if you can see the drift after 20 minutes, then it's probably not a calibration issue, but a setting issue.

Very true, and often small drifts can only be seen by taking a picture of the display--the numbers are churning too fast to see much of anything under a second or so.

6 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

Yes, that's what I've come to believe the issue is.  There is no setting on the Denecke jog wheel for 23.98 or 29.97.  Just the round numbers, which would account for the amount of drift occurring. We assumed when it arrived that 24 meant 23.98, but obviously not. 

Denecke has always had efficient abbreviations. For 23.976, they simply use "23", which is definitely not 24. However, the TS-2 always had 29.97. In a pinch, you can set your slate to 29.97, as at least there wouldn't be any drift. It would be spot on at the beginning of each second.

On 10/20/2017 at 2:18 PM, Ed White said:

All Denecke time code products are also world famous for rock solid accuracy. I'm sure you've triple checked all settings, but it sounds like one of them is wrong.

I've had two Denecke TS 2s that would not stay together.  Time healed all wounds.  Today are solid.