PDR Lectrosonics

Patrick Tresch

Thinking of buying a small recorder to put on any camera (DSLR, Weapon,... ) that have poor preamps or on people where HF is problematic (Cuba,...) or even to replace the Wireless transmitter, so I look at this PDR device and find it interesting.

I was also thinking to use the minijack output to record the signal on the camera where the preamps aren't great, but I don't have any unit to know if the ouput power is enough to feed a good level for DSLR mic type of input.

What is servo bias type inputs? Can I use any other mic level output to feed that recorder?

Any coments on the unit would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pat

4 hours ago, Patrick Tresch said:

I was also thinking to use the minijack output to record the signal on the camera where the preamps aren't great, but I don't have any unit to know if the ouput power is enough to feed a good level for DSLR mic type of input.

It outputs line level or an adjustable headphone level so it’s plenty hot enough to feed a camera. You might even want to pad the cable if you’re going into a mic input.

It's basically the same mic input as all their current Radio Mic transmitters, so will take any mic wired for Lectrosonics (either electret capsule or Dynamic) or you can wire up a cable to input a Dynamic mic or Line Level. It can not provide 48v Phantom Power for a full-size mic or shotgun - you'd need to add an external P48 power supply box connected with a suitably wired jumper cable.

I once used it to improvise a on-cam mic for an  Alexa Mini, which offers only line level input. We attached plugged a gooseneck DPA 4098 with windjammer, directly into the PDA and went line level from the jack output into the Mini.

2nd unit shoot inside a car, no lines, some action. Saw the rushes and it was really OK. No handling noise from the camera. The PDR was just velcroed to the Cam-body, the 15 cm gooseneck poking out aside of the lens.

The good thing is, that if you use it as  a preamp you get a backup recorder with TC for free.

things to be aware:

- with black eneloop AAA the recording time is limited to 4 hours max, lithiums last longer. But no set and forget for one entire shooting day.

- Timecode syncing is easy and done very quickly. You have to sync though after every power down / battery change.

- The lectro servo inputs accept huge dynamics and feature a good limiter which is optimized for speech and human voice. The sensitivity can be adjusted in 1 dB increments.

- wiring TA5 inputs for Lectrosonics is special: The combination of the 5 pins makes the difference between wirings for different sources.   http://www.lectrosonics.com/Support/Microphone-Wiring/uhf-transmitter-5-pin-input-jack-wiring.html

- DPA 4098 are hypercardiods designed as podium mics and compensate the closemiking effect with a fixed LF cut. So in the distance you might find less LF on your track.

1 hour ago, axel said:

No, it is just the same. There is no further companding with Lectro 400 mode transmission systems.

As Axel said. Also, there is only one conversion from analog to digital, no occasionally troublesome RF link, and a wider dynamic range overall.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher