Just a rant

drpro

I have been working in this world for many years, with many different individuals.  Mostly this about camera persons.  Some have a big ego, some really don't know what they are doing, daddy bought them their first camera, they are afraid of someone stealing their client, they don't want to share production information with you, ex news shooters now with a van full of lights and think every light should be used on an interview and you can just keep going.......

Currently day playing on the CMT show Pickler and Ben.  Camera person won't reveal technical information about a shoot, you have to pull it out, You arrive and find out oops, I should I brought that extra bit of kit.  Call sheets (not fault of camera person) don't go out sometimes or late at night.  Working tomorrow here are the facts gate 5 8am.  Wow could be the airport or....

I know our world changes frequently, but folks this isn't brain surgery.

Share other stories?

Rant off

Try to have that extra bit of kit with you....always... when you don't have it, I can promise, you'll need it....then, do what you do...

We as sound people see their little visual puzzle and solve it...but we need our gear... With that gear, your doing your normal job...reacting... solving your problems with experience and gear... 

Even on the most informed set, things change...a lot.. sometimes the smallest change can wreak havoc..  

Just do your job...same as always..

Do what you can..if they throw something at you like asking to lav 20 people, laugh and say..that's not going to happen.. I need to be notified and you did not...It is what it is..

I just did a very short notice gig yesterday where there was practically no info in advance. Had to haul out more wireless and boom mics than I ended up needing, and because the info was so ridiculously scarce, the local crew had to wait 2 hours on location for the people who had flown in. Good thing the shoot was inside, it's getting wintery up here in Finland, too bad there was no catering. When the rest of the crew arrived, everything went smoothly, very nice, professional people. Ended up being only ~5hrs worth of work, but I got a full day rate out of it. Could've been a lot worse, I suppose, but I was really hungry at wrap time! 

I was happy to have a bunch of spares and I actually almost ended up needing more things than I might've taken along if I'd had the kind of info I'd given out on the job myself. Never hurts to be prepared.

I’m currently on a reality show for 5 weeks. Which decided they didn’t want to rent my  gear and wouldn’t provide any information before Day 1. Turns out they have provided a 664, with 6 Lectro Wireless (in different blocks) and a CMIT5U in a Satchler bag that doesn’t have a strap, harness or handles. The bag is set up as heavily and bulky as possible....

We have 8-12 cast everyday and somehow they expect me to Boom the un miced talent... They ask for us to be a fly on the wall. I explained to them that their equipment is inadediquete to do the job properly and when asked for them to rent my gear or at the very least more Wireless and a CL-6 they declined... So All I can do is do my best and play musical mics all day.  I agree “It is what it is...”