#metoo and sexism in general

Olle Sjostrom

On 15/11/2017 at 9:03 AM, Philip Perkins said:

I wire a lot of non-pro talent.  Bedside manner: friendly politeness, and a every task couched as a request.  Saying that "I need your help with this" seems to help.  With women I often ask them to stick the stickie on themselves in lav. position, having first said "I'm going to point out where", then pointing in a low key manner and then letting them do it.  And...some non-pros are just so nervous or wigged out by the scene that I don't wire them unless there is really no alternative...

With wiring non pro talent in docu situations, I've found the hide-a-mic 'bra holder' to be very well received by female subjects and has made for an even smoother wiring process as it's pretty simple to understand mic placement etc..

8 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

With wiring non pro talent in docu situations, I've found the hide-a-mic 'bra holder' to be very well received by female subjects and has made for an even smoother wiring process as it's pretty simple to understand mic placement etc..

That's the reaction I've had to the Hide a Mic bra mount as well.  It does take some explaining to be sure they get it right.  I've found that if you run the mic underneath the center strap of the bra and clip the mic on with the clip part of the mount facing out its much quieter and less likely to show the clip through the blouse.  Of course I illustrate this to the subject so they can do it themselves.

• 1 month later...

What works best for me is to stay polite, calm and professional. This is part of my job and if I don´t make a fuzz out of it others won´t too. If the actor feels that I am just doing my job then most of the time they feel secure. If there is actually anybody nearby making stupid remarks I just send them away. With children I ask them first if they have done this before, then let them tell me where they put the mic the last time and then I explain every step of the way and ask before I do anything. If at any given pont I get the impression that a child or adult actor feels insecure about me placing a mic I ask a woman on set to do it for me. But that is very rarely the case.