Olle Sjostrom

#metoo and sexism in general

Mic'ing up is one of the more demanding parts of our job. IMO you need to explain simply and succinctly what you need to do, while gauging the talents reaction and hopefully putting them at ease as much as possible. 

If they are adults and uncomfortable I talk them through how to mic themselves, and I live with the results even if it's not as good as what I would have potentially done. Ruining their day, or scaring them emotionally isn't worth a little bit less clothing noise. 

On 15/11/2017 at 9:03 AM, Philip Perkins said:

I wire a lot of non-pro talent.  Bedside manner: friendly politeness, and a every task couched as a request.  Saying that "I need your help with this" seems to help.  With women I often ask them to stick the stickie on themselves in lav. position, having first said "I'm going to point out where", then pointing in a low key manner and then letting them do it.  And...some non-pros are just so nervous or wigged out by the scene that I don't wire them unless there is really no alternative...

With wiring non pro talent in docu situations, I've found the hide-a-mic 'bra holder' to be very well received by female subjects and has made for an even smoother wiring process as it's pretty simple to understand mic placement etc..

8 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

With wiring non pro talent in docu situations, I've found the hide-a-mic 'bra holder' to be very well received by female subjects and has made for an even smoother wiring process as it's pretty simple to understand mic placement etc..

That's the reaction I've had to the Hide a Mic bra mount as well.  It does take some explaining to be sure they get it right.  I've found that if you run the mic underneath the center strap of the bra and clip the mic on with the clip part of the mount facing out its much quieter and less likely to show the clip through the blouse.  Of course I illustrate this to the subject so they can do it themselves.