Sony MDR 7506 coiled cable

KGraham045

1 hour ago, KGraham045 said:

How do you keep your coiled cable headphones from becoming a tangled mess?

Embrace the tangled mess or only having enough of it outside of the bag to reach you head and keep all the other cables tidy. I like having a long HP cable, as there are times when it's useful.

I try really hard to keep the coiled cable nice...On the cart I use all the cable I can going around my CL12 and into my 688, not to the front of the CL-12...when my cable gets funky, I buy another pair... or, send to the bag rig...Usually 2 years or so...

The bag I do what has been suggested above.. keep most of it tucked away safely..

I prefer the coiled cable due to me sometimes walking away with my headphones on...the coiled cable is a bit more forgiving...

Dave, thanks for that simple, yet effective, trick. Just reached over the desk, grabbed my pair and gave it a go.

I am a fan of the Audio Technica ATHM50x, partly because of the 3 sets of detachable cables (curly cord, straight cord with regular adaptable 1/8">1/4" plug and shorter straight cord with slim 1/8" plug that fits the smaller gap in cell phone cases) they include in the package.

Bruce Bisenz employed, I think, the best solution to the unruly cable problem. He rewired all of his headsets to incorporate a permanent yoke that "Y-d" down to a connector. He had a number of cables that he might attach to that Y-connector - straight, coiled, mono and stereo. The connector provided a weak point that could pop before a cable would be stressed to the breaking point and aging or compromised cables could be easily replaced in the field. Of course, he is handier than I with a soldering gun - an essential skill as the Sony cables employ Litz wire (or something very similar).

My own solution is less elegant but has worked well for me. I simply thread a length of nylon climbing line through the coils to limit the expansion of the coiled cable. By affixing the nylon line with O-rings at each end, I provide some slack to prevent damage when coming to the end of the line. 

This is similar to the clever rerouting employed by Dave Pulmer and others but may be easier to undo.

David

L9990741.jpg

L9990742.jpg

1 hour ago, David Waelder said:

My own solution is less elegant but has worked well for me. I simply thread a length of nylon climbing line through the coils to limit the expansion of the coiled cable. By affixing the nylon line with O-rings at each end, I provide some slack to prevent damage when coming to the end of the line. 

very interesting...

how about using some rubbery stretchy thin rope instead of the nylon one?

I've spent 40 years with Beyer DT48s with a coiled cable and just take care of them.  Never wind them around the phones.  My phones get the cable dropped into a drawer or compartment in my bag like I was doing the anchor line on a boat.  Then the phones nest on the coiled cable.  I've shipped them half-way-around the World like that and it seems to work out.  I never have buggered coiled cables.

The cable is the only thing I like about my 7506's.

I may be missing Glen's joke but I've often thought of rewiring my DT150 with one. I pack my 7506 folded, upside down and chuck the cable over the top - the only time the cable was wrapped around the phones was when I lent them to a friend (who wanted to experience for himself just how bloody horrible they sound).

J

Wrapping the Sony cable around the headphones is a sure way to age the cable quickly, of course. Keep in mind that the Sony cable was built for comfort, not speed and is not well suited for the rigors of production sound, particularly in "run-and-gun" bag productions. The Beyer DT-48 coiled cable was much tougher, I suppose to ensure the pain of wear them for a lifetime.

On 16 November 2017 at 6:57 PM, Glen Trew said:

(snip) The Beyer DT-48 coiled cable was much tougher, I suppose to ensure the pain of wear them for a lifetime.

Thanks for the reminder of this Glen! It's been a couple of decades since I've been around the venerable 48.

If I'm able to source a DT48 spare cable from Beyer I might well use it to construct a coiled cable for my DT150s (of course I'll have to find a suitable screwable 3.5/6mm stereo jack plug for the other end - what with the box at the other end this might get quite pricey).

Jez

(edit - the WK100.07 replacement cable might save me a lot of grief at a straight 32 euro purchase ... Not sure that it's quite the same heavy duty cable Glen was referring to for the old DT 48 though - I had a vague memory of something slightly wider and thicker)