Cat 5 Ideas

Simon Paine

Just read Mark Ulano's article in the Locatiosound corp. newsletter. Wow. What a setup ! If you haven't read it yet, i highly recomend you check it out. He talks about how he has incorporated the Aviom digital snake into his package. The boom oop gets his own cart with 2 venue RX's Comtek TX's and a couple of other things I'm missing. Mark can receive all 16 channels through 1 Cat 5 cable that basicaly costs 15 to 30 cents a foot !! and is nice and small, light and can be bought at any computer or electronics store. He even manages to also get 2 video feeds all through this one cable. Not to mention all the stuff he sends back to the boom ops end. Anyways, I've probably butchered the article with my Synopsis here, so i recomend you read the real thing.

http://www.locationsound.com/PDF_2004/Spring%20NL%202006.pdf

But the article got me thinking what other uses we could put to the didgital link stuff. I had an idea. Maybe one of our favourite manufacturers could develop an Eng mixer that incorporates a digital  send, and at the camera you could have a break out box. It could send up to 4 seperate audio channels (or maybe more, as say a dedicated feed to camera op headset or something) plus the ability to send back a sound monitor feed, timecode and even a video signal. All along a nice light and cheap cat 5 cable.

Any others with thoughts on this ?

yes! simon thats a great idea...

i've always dreamed that someone would develop a camera with that sort of "break out box" built INTO it, so that effectively the mixer IS ALL the circuitry needed to amp and process/digitize the sound, and that from there it simply goes along a cable and straight onto the tape (or P2 or whatever)...

the whole business of needing to establish a gain structure between cam in and mixer out seems to me to be so outdated - if more ENG mixers included a/d and d/a converters, the audio could effectivley be outsourced entirely to the mixer, with the meters we see being in final DBfs etc etc.

i wish...:)